PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

The future???

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

Phil Blackmar
Answers: 0

The future???

Post by Phil Blackmar »

Just for fun. :yeahhh: :yeahhh: :yeahhh: :yeahhh:

BTW-JC and I played on tour at the same time. This video is actually accurate in that it details some aspects of a famous instruction book called The Golf Machine by Homer Kelly.
Stoatstail50

Re: The future???

Post by Stoatstail50 »

People want more than just secrets Phil, they want the secret, secret secrets so secret and powerful they’re protected by the Ba Ka Rod spirits of the Atun Gleam who hiss forever of sinews and synapses in the deepest darkest chambers of the casting pharaohs…😶
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
VGB

Post by VGB »

Phil, just out of interest. I’ll pitch (no pun intended) a similar question to you that I have asked Bernd on the “Movement Skills Overview” thread. Do you consider golf to be a simple or a complex movement skill. If so why and does that impact how you coach?

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

VGB wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:20 pm Phil, just out of interest. I’ll pitch (no pun intended) a similar question to you that I have asked Bernd on the “Movement Skills Overview” thread. Do you consider golf to be a simple or a complex movement skill. If so why and does that impact how you coach?
Vince,
I am not Phil, but if golf is similiuar to ff.... That "trick shot" was done by the newest and probably best club available. Magic club can make the shot all on his own and the best is, that the ball can only fly dead straight!
😉
Cheers
B
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
Phil Blackmar

Post by Phil Blackmar »

Hi Vince-

I consider golf very complex which makes me want to simplify things as much as possible. I do this by basing everything on my version of golf's essentials;
Path direction
Face orientation at impact
Sequence of body motion (two turns and a swoosh)

These are an intent rather than a result. This, in and of itself, is a change for many

Then add rhythm timing and balance.

Try to stick to one thing at a time. Use all ques (visual, internal, external, etc) to help the student develop personal and spacial awareness.

I ask the student lots of questions with the goal of leading them to a conclusion which I have in mind. Often, my goal will change depending on the students answers. A shared path of discovery is what I like to call the journey.

I like to include small challenges which are attainable to encourage a good attitude and feeling of accomplishment

We talk about how to practice to speed the improvement on the course.

Technical aspects relate back to path, face and sequence or timing. This allows the swing to fit the player rather than changing things to make the swing air player look better.

There is way more, Cliff notes version.

Cheers
Phil
Phil Blackmar

Post by Phil Blackmar »

Stoatstail50 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:17 pm People want more than just secrets Phil, they want the secret, secret secrets so secret and powerful they’re protected by the Ba Ka Rod spirits of the Atun Gleam who hiss forever of sinews and synapses in the deepest darkest chambers of the casting pharaohs…😶
Nice one Mark. Hogan was famous for his secret.
hogan secret jpeg.jpg
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Phil Blackmar wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:14 pm I consider golf very complex which makes me want to simplify things as much as possible. I do this by basing everything on my version of golf's essentials;
Path direction
I very much like how you put your objective and strategy here, Phil. Sounds familiar to me.
That aside is there a sport, that you consider not to be complex?
Regards
B
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
Phil Blackmar

Post by Phil Blackmar »

Bernd Ziesche wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:10 pm
VGB wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:20 pm Phil, just out of interest. I’ll pitch (no pun intended) a similar question to you that I have asked Bernd on the “Movement Skills Overview” thread. Do you consider golf to be a simple or a complex movement skill. If so why and does that impact how you coach?
Vince,
I am not Phil, but if golf is similiuar to ff.... That "trick shot" was done by the newest and probably best club available. Magic club can make the shot all on his own and the best is, that the ball can only fly dead straight!
😉
Cheers
B
Hi Bernd

You are so so right. Here is an example......
perfect club jpeg.jpg
They've been in business for many years.... :upside: :upside:

FF following the same path with faster and faster rods and heavier lines...

Cheers
Phil
VGB

Post by VGB »

Hi Phil

I did chuckle at the video, I’ve been in casting presentations like that :D

I agree with you that golf could be largely considered a complex skill. I probably mentioned that my second time playing golf which was the day after the first time I picked up a club for the first time, I played a work tournament on a local links course, coming 18th out of 32 regular players. Retrospectively, I think I went through a process of chunking, leveraging off about 11 years of school and club (grass) hockey. I could hit a ball with a stick which just goes to show a complex skill can be simpler :)

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Phil Blackmar

Post by Phil Blackmar »

Bernd Ziesche wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:21 pm
Phil Blackmar wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:14 pm I consider golf very complex which makes me want to simplify things as much as possible. I do this by basing everything on my version of golf's essentials;
Path direction
I very much like how you put your objective and strategy here, Phil. Sounds familiar to me.
That aside is there a sport, that you consider not to be complex?
Regards
B
I guess the more moving parts the more complex. Never really thought about it....In that sense, nearly all sports are complex if they require a sequence of motion where timing, accuracy and or speed is important. How about Darts? Of course, Darts may not meet the standard required for some to call it athletic??? Lol
Best
Phil

Return to “Teaching”