PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

does balancing a rod have and effect on casting?

Moderator: Lee Cummings

Vicente G
Answers: 0

does balancing a rod have and effect on casting?

Post by Vicente G »

basically that, does having a balanced rod have any effect on casting? if it does, where should it balance? I know its almost impossible to balance a rod since you are constantly changing weights be it the line or the reel ( thinking about it I pretty much answered myself that its impossible to do :D ), but have you found that a heavier reel or a lighter one have an effect on casting? :pirate:

what are your thoughts on this subject?
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: does balancing a rod have and effect on casting?

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Vincente,

I think that reels can be too light. But not everyone agrees. This guy doesn’t :laugh:
https://rexfly.com/products/ground-espresso-decaf
(Strange URL)
IMG_6484.jpeg
IMG_6484.jpeg (56.17 KiB) Viewed 518 times
The only time I’ve notice problems is when the reel is particularly heavy. There was a trend to put very light plastic reels on competition casting outfits.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Bendix

Post by Bendix »

Hi Vincente

I generally don’t think too much about balancing my outfits… I just put on a reel that suits the fishing I’m going to do, and go fishing with it.

But it just so happens, that the reels I like the most for Trout fishing are usually really light, whereas the reels I like for Salmon fishing (on both SH and DH rods), are generally on the heavy side… But they all get the job done! I don’t think you should overthink what weight the reel you use has.

Cheers
Bendix
George C

Post by George C »

It has been discussed before here https://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/vi ... =11&t=2162
There are fairly complex issues involving butt nodes and self deceleration principles that likely explain some of the why.

I'm in the bottom 5% of casters posting here so take my input accordingly, but I find the heavier the reel the less feedback I sense from the rod while casting.
If the rod 'balances' in my hand at rest it is likely I'll prefer the rod more with a lighter reel when casting.......particularly if I'm using a light grip.

George
Viking Lars

Post by Viking Lars »

I try to use as light reels as possible, within a frame of price, intended use and reason.
Rod, reel, line, leader and fly all move together. Line, leader and fly are what they are and as far as weight goes, reel weight is the parameter we can change. From a simple standpoint, I prefer lighter reels to move less weight.
I’ve always argued, that was soon as you have 25ft of line out the rod tilp. any outfit is “tip heavy” anyway.
I’ve always found that especially on lighter gear that I can lose all feeling with the tip if the reel is too heavy. Which is why I wonder why some brands put really heavy reel seats on light rods. And when they do, a light reel becomes even more important for me. I have in the past boiled reel seats off rods to put a lighter one on.
Even in two handsets, I don’t worry about balancing the outfit. For a big rod, I find any reel is heavy enough. I’ve heard stories claiming that you can get back peaches fishing a 15’ rod if the setup isn’t “balanced”. I’ve never experienced it and I suspect that if some do, it’s because of other issues.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I agree. I would think that the first thing to do is check to see if you’re fishing in an orchard.
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Damn, autocorrect is teasing Lars :D
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Vicente G

Post by Vicente G »

Great, I had the same thinking then, I prefer to go as light as possible just for the fact that it’s lighter, but I always had the concern that it might hinder the casting in anyway, I tried casting the same line, same length with different reels some heavier others lighter and I didn’t find much of a difference, but I know in fly casting there’s a lot of stuff that’s not so obvious so I preferred to ask,
Viking Lars wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:22 am I’ve heard stories claiming that you can get back peaches fishing a 15’ rod if the setup isn’t “balanced”. I’ve never experienced it and I suspect that if some do, it’s because of other issues.
I've heard stories like that too Lars, but I’ve been fishing sometimes for days with my 14ft rod when I go after Chinook salmon, and nothing happened to me or my back, maybe a casting lesson will improve those problems for the storytellers :pirate:
Viking Lars

Post by Viking Lars »

Lasse Karlsson wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:32 am Damn, autocorrect is teasing Lars :D
Have you never heard of back peaches? They are the equivalent to pineapple of pizzas and the main reason people have to quit fly fishing. Sometimes even get divorced 😉.
Viking Lars

Post by Viking Lars »

Lasse Karlsson wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 11:32 am Damn, autocorrect is teasing Lars :D
Have you never heard of back peaches? They are the equivalent to pineapple on pizzas and the main reason people have to quit fly fishing. Sometimes even get divorced 😉.

Return to “Flycasting - 2 handed”