PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

line lubricants vs

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Vicente G
Answers: 0

line lubricants vs

Post by Vicente G »

hi guys, what are your experiences with different line lubricants, I have tried rio agent x and the scientific anglers one, what are the differences between them, agent x is white, and SA is clear, why is that? if you have experiences with any other stuff on this subject I would love to know too (I heard a guide in my country uses vaseline to lubricate and he swears by it, maybe it damages the fly line? anyone knows about this?)

also,Paul, somewhere around I saw that you used 10cst silicone oil I think, where can I get that? seems cheaper than brand name lubricants

thanks everybody! :pirate:
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: line lubricants vs

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Vincente,

10cSt is very close to water in terms of viscosity.
IMG_6483.jpeg
I bought it through an App called Lazada here in Malaysia. It shipped from China. It cost 80MYR (17USD). And will last me MANY years!!!

Most line applicants are expensive and “sticky”. We used to buy some oil from a carp fishing company and we rebranded the oil as “Shoot” on Sexyloops. The company was sold and we never managed to get more of the product. I then spent about 2 years sampling different silicone oils from China trying to find out what it was, because I really need it here in the tropics for fast shots. I’m almost certain now that this is what it was.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Hi Vincente,

I know it makes people laugh, but this stuff works just as well as anything you'll find in a fly fishing shop and it's about a quarter of the price.

Any of the main personal lubricant brands work. Make sure you get the silicone based version of them though because the water based ones clog it all up.

To be clear: this is personal lubricant that you can buy at the supermarket, pharmacy or service station (in Australia). Or just nip into the nearest adult toy shop with your partner ... :)

Cheers,
Graeme

2024-01-16_15-50-08.jpg
FFi CCI
Rickard

Post by Rickard »

That one was really smart Graeme! :blush:

Monic Microslick is good but I think it is only silicone oil in low viscosity. And it seems like all the good ones is just silicone oil in different viscosities.

It can be a bit hard to find silicone oil in 10 cSt to reasonable price and quantities. I had to shop around a bit at Alibaba to find it.

10 cSt does a good job at both lubricating lines and also clean them. It seems like it gets the dirt of that water and soap doesn’t. But in the talk Paul had with John Waters it seems like thicker oil could be a good idea also.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I think thicker oil is a bad idea, Rickard. The next step up I’ve tried has been 100cSt and I found it sticky. I also tried what Graeme suggests but save it for other uses now. I actually bought two different types at the time. I can only guess what the girl in 7-11 was thinking.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
George C

Post by George C »

Small quantities of 10CTS silicone oil are sold as watch oil.
It is only 4 ml but I've been pleased with how long it lasts since I only use a few drops at a time and (with practice casting) it seems to last for days.
https://www.esslinger.com/pure-silicone ... gKCF_D_BwE
VGB

Post by VGB »

Paul Arden wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:55 am I actually bought two different types at the time. I can only guess what the girl in 7-11 was thinking.
Did you ask for gallon containers?
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Vinny

Post by Vinny »

Food grade silicone.
Vicente G

Post by Vicente G »

Rickard wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:19 am
Monic Microslick is good but I think it is only silicone oil in low viscosity. And it seems like all the good ones is just silicone oil in different viscosities.

It can be a bit hard to find silicone oil in 10 cSt to reasonable price and quantities. I had to shop around a bit at Alibaba to find it.
Hi Rickard, do you have a link to your 10cst silicone oil provider? I might be interested in purchasing from alibaba too
Paul Arden wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:55 am I think thicker oil is a bad idea, Rickard. The next step up I’ve tried has been 100cSt and I found it sticky. I also tried what Graeme suggests but save it for other uses now. I actually bought two different types at the time. I can only guess what the girl in 7-11 was thinking.
Hi paul, I’ve found a provider here in Chile that sells 50cSt silicone oil, might be a good experiment to buy it and try it (I think I will, I’m going to inform on that matter when I get it), do you think the additional thickness of the oil might improve its durability? You tried 100 cSt and it’s too sticky, this one should be half the sticky, but it’s still 5 times thicker than the 10cSt one, I think im still going to need the 10cSt one to have a comparison, when I asked for 10cSt silicone oil the girl in the counter looked at me and told me “10cSt? Why so thin, What are you using it for?”, I said “lubricant to make them girls as slick as possible ”, she looked at me with a slightly judging poker face, and told me they don’t have 10cSt, should have stated I was talking about fly lines
Vicente G

Post by Vicente G »

Graeme H wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:54 am Hi Vincente,

I know it makes people laugh, but this stuff works just as well as anything you'll find in a fly fishing shop and it's about a quarter of the price.

Any of the main personal lubricant brands work. Make sure you get the silicone based version of them though because the water based ones clog it all up.

To be clear: this is personal lubricant that you can buy at the supermarket, pharmacy or service station (in Australia). Or just nip into the nearest adult toy shop with your partner ... :)

Cheers,
Graeme

2024-01-16_15-50-08.jpg
Hi Graeme, since it’s so easy to get and it’s not expensive I will try this first, and probably will not have to explain why I’m using it for to the pharmacist :laugh: :laugh:
Thanks for the suggestion

Return to “Tackle”