PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Define the '170'

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

James9118
Answers: 0

Define the '170'

Post by James9118 »

I think if there's one cast that is widely mis-understood in terms of its definition then it's the '170'. I don't think I've ever read a definitive description of what this cast is. As such, I think there's a lot of confusion surrounding this cast. In fact I'd go as far to say as very, very few people actually perform '170's (in my definition of what a '170' is) versus how many claim to be proficient in it. It my mind the '170' is not simply a cast with a (very) wide casting arc - it's much more subtle than that. So what actually defines a '170'? Can it be done from either stance? Where's the separation from OSD to '170'? What's the advantage of a '170' over the OSD etc?

Cheers, James
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Define the '170'

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi James,

I describe it as “two back-to-back stopless delivery casts”. By “delivery” I mean the stopless backcast in this case, is the same movement as if you were to actually deliver the fly in that direction.

I think the main advantage is the higher backcast speed of the 170 compared to OSD, which in turn allows for a longer carry and better casting into the wind. There may be some advantages on the forward cast too with body momentum and a rolling start.

The advantages of stopless is higher line speed, pure and simple. It’s also a handy way of getting the rod tip well below the Flight of a Clouser.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Flycasting”