PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Defining Haul

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Merlin
Answers: 0

Re: Defining Haul

Post by Merlin »

The FFI definition is ok for me. If there can be a consensus on another one, why not, but I do not see the usefulness of it.

It’s all in learning.

Merlin
Fly rods are like women, they won't play if they're maltreated
Charles Ritz, A Flyfisher's Life
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I think it’s fine to have a definition for the “Haul” to occur during the Casting Stroke and a “Check Haul” to occur as the loop is unrolling.

These are terms in common usage. I wouldn’t be the sort of person to rename a Reach Cast a Reach Mend. Or even to say that you can’t accentuate a Curve Cast with a Check Haul becuase it’s not part of the Casting Stroke. :p

Do what works! And the more you can do the better :)

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

Walter,

I see where you are going with this but I think describing the haul based on both hands might be confusing the subject more than helping?

If it is just left as "pulling on the line with the line hand", it is simple and concise. Intent and effect can still be discussed.

Specifying based on distance between hands, or hands and the stripping guide, comes into play for calculations on effectiveness, but not whether the line was pulled by the line hand.

The calculation might be zero, since apparently, it is possible to "haul" but not move the line through the guides? If so, it would still be a "haul" just not an effective one.

And, the apparent effect might be large, like when someone holds their line hand stationary while making a back cast. But they have not "hauled" although they may have created the effect similar to a "haul".

Gary
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Mangrove Cuckoo

Just saw the sister thread...

Maybe further discussions on the "haul during the casting stroke" could be clarified as the good old "single haul"- which would differentiate it from things like check hauls and strip hauls that don't occur in the casting stroke?

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

The Strip Haul does occur during the Casting Stroke. Usually the backcast. It’s done in such a way (slow and through the stroke) so that it doesn’t appreciably increase line speed. Its purpose is to shorten line, which can be done in a measured fashion!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Walter

Post by Walter »

How often do you use a strip haul when fishing? I sometimes use it during the initial pick up, otherwise it’s too slow. I’m more likely to use a mend or a snap, although that can leave a lot of slack to pick up if a fish hits. The main reason I’ve used it is for the accuracy task on the test.
"There can be only one." - The Highlander. :pirate:

PS. I have a flying tank. Your argument is irrelevant.

PSS. How to generate a climbing loop through control of the casting stroke is left as a (considerable) exercise to the reader.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Walter,

was going to say I don’t, but actually I do. If I’m picking up line to cover a fish closer to me I’ll make a single Strip Haul followed by a Reach Cast.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Walter

Post by Walter »

I think sometimes we do things instinctively and don’t realize we are doing them.

One of the things I want to discuss eventually is that some hauling actions may pull a lot of line through the guides but are best suited for single hauls rather than double hauls. Kind of a biomechanics thing I think though.

PSS. How to generate a climbing loop through control of the casting stroke is left as a (considerable) exercise to the reader.
Walter

Post by Walter »

Thinking a bit more about this. We could define “hauling action” as the basis for the various types of hauls and then work from there.

Example:

Hauling action- pulling line through the guides
Haul - a hauling action performed during the casting stroke to increase line speed.
Check haul - a hauling action performed after loop formation to facilitate loop turnover.
Strip haul - a hauling action while casting to shorten line carry.

We could even add a few for discussion and analysis purposes, such as:
Active haul - the portion of the haul due to movement of the line hand
Passive haul - the portion of the haul due to movement of the rod and rod hand

The last two don’t need to be formalized but I intend to use them when discussing the technical side of things.

Mangrove Cuckoo

Walter wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:41 am How often do you use a strip haul when fishing?
The question made me laugh and realize there is another one...

The answer would be "Hopefully many times on every fishing trip!"

The way to set the hook in the salt is with the strip haul. :D

Return to “Flycasting”