PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Defining Haul

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Walter
Answers: 0

Defining Haul

Post by Walter »

I've been looking at haul speed and efficiency and it occurs to me that we don't have a definition of what we mean by the word "haul" (at least not that I can find on SL).

The FFI definition:
Single haul/hauling – pulling on the fly line with the line hand while fly casting
Double haul – hauling on consecutive casts (back cast and forward cast)
lacks something in my opinion. Bernd has provided a great video that shows effectively hauling with the line attached to a stationary post in place of holding it with the line hand. Torsten has also pointed out that we can haul using our rod hand while holding our line hand totally still.

Consider the following picture:
Haul Definition.jpg
From our starting position A we can see that if we move both the rod and line hands together (B) during the casting stroke that we do not generate and movement of the line relative to the rod guides, i.e. this is a non-hauled cast. In all of the other scenarios (C, D, E) we have moved our rod and line hands apart by one unit (foot, meter, whatever unit of distance including miles for Vince who is a giant among men :p ). The difference in these scenarios that I will pull exactly the same amount of line through the guides by first using my line hand only, using both my line and rod hands and using my rod hand only.

My suggestion is that we define haul as relative movement between the line and rod hands during the casting stroke.

Note that this is separate from hauling distance and speed, which I intend to address separately under a different topic. It also has nothing to do with the efficiency or effectiveness of the haul, which is yet another topic. Biomechanics and teaching? More topics...
"There can be only one." - The Highlander. :pirate:

PS. I have a flying tank. Your argument is irrelevant.

PSS. How to generate a climbing loop through control of the casting stroke is left as a (considerable) exercise to the reader.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Defining Haul

Post by Paul Arden »

My suggestion is that we define haul as relative movement between the line and rod hands during the casting stroke.
I think that a definition of haul should be to explain its purpose. Something along the lines of: Pulling line through the rod rings during the casting stroke. This is commonly done to increase the speed of the fly leg.

I understand we also have Check Haul, Strip Haul and in common use Double and sometimes Triple Haul.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

It might be more useful to have two definitions. One for Haul, relating to the line hand/arm movement and the other (say) Effective Haul relating to the line being pulled through the rings.

Would be another way of packaging it. I can see value in that too.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Walter

Post by Walter »

If we want to define the haul based on its purpose then we would first need to define the purpose. If there is more than one purpose then would each purpose require a unique term and, therefore, it’s own definition specific to that term?

You’ve mentioned increasing the speed of the fly leg as one purpose - can you think of any others? Do you consider the second part of the haul in double hauling where we give the line back in preparation for the haul on the next casting stroke to be part of the haul or is it something else in your opinion? If it’s part of the haul then that part of the haul is not pulling line through the guides. I’m also thinking of the slide - is it a form of haul? I think it is based on the idea that it results from relative hand motion but I would like to hear other opinions.

With respect to “effective” haul that, in my opinion, is more of a qualifier that relates back to the purpose of the haul. A haul can be effective or ineffective in that it does or does not accomplish its purpose or obtain a desired result. There is also the issue of haul efficiency that relates to how well it achieves its purpose such as increasing line speed vs our input (relative hand motion).

As I said in my previous post, I consider this to be strictly a basic definition of what a haul is. While purpose may have a role in that, the effectiveness, efficiency, speed, biomechanics and teaching are different topics but, in my opinion, it’s very frustrating to discuss those topics if we don’t have a basic agreement of what a haul is.

PSS. How to generate a climbing loop through control of the casting stroke is left as a (considerable) exercise to the reader.
Walter

Post by Walter »

We could say:

Motion of the line and rod hands relative to each other for the purpose of moving line relative to the rod guides (during the casting stroke?).

Kind of overusing the word relative but it’s a definition, not a literary work.

Do we need “during the casting stroke”? I could start hauling with my line hand before the stroke, also a check haul comes after the stroke.

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I’m happy to go with primary purpose Walter. No I don’t consider the up movement to be part of the haul. I don’t consider Slide to be part of the haul either. That’s like asking if you consider Lift to be part of the Casting Stroke or the taxi ride to the airport part of a plane ride.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I really don’t understand why you want hauling to include mention of the rod hand. I guess this must be how you’ve always looked at hauling?

For me hauling is principally the movement/pattern of the line hand, with the purpose of accelerating the flyline by pulling it through the rod rings.

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

I vote for "Pulling line through the rod guides with the non-casting hand."

It's simple, doesn't need a purpose and does not qualify the haul for efficiency or effectiveness. It contains within it the implication of "relativity".

It just describes what a haul does and how it's done in the simplest of terms.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Walter

Post by Walter »

The reason for making it the relative motion of both hands is explained in the picture. If hauling is pulling line through the guides I can do that when my line hand is fixed in place.

Walter

Post by Walter »

Graeme H wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:29 am I vote for "Pulling line through the rod guides with the non-casting hand."

It's simple, doesn't need a purpose and does not qualify the haul for efficiency or effectiveness. It contains within it the implication of "relativity".

It just describes what a haul does and how it's done in the simplest of terms.

Cheers,
Graeme
As long as everyone agrees that relativity is implied I would be okay with that.

We could simplify even more by just saying it’s the act of pulling line through the rod guides.

Leave out hands completely. I recall someone demonstrating hauling with their feet. :p

Return to “Flycasting”