PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

The most accurate fly rod

Moderators: Viking Lars, Magnus

Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

Re: The most accurate fly rod

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

gordonjudd wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:08 pm
Hang a rod horizontally, add weight to the tip, rotate the butt. The tip doesn't spring out to the side
Lasse,
But what about the stripper guide where the twisting effects of spine are more pronounced?

In one of my tests with the rod in a spine finder and and adding some torque to rotate the rod near the 90 degree "jump" axis the stripper guide rotated about 20 degrees due to the effect of spine. The bigger the tip load, the bigger that twist becomes.

The torque required to rotate the rod away from the effective spine is what produces the twist you would feel when fighting a big fish when the guides are placed away from the effective spine axis.

Gordy
Whats the biggest fish you've fought?

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Walter

Post by Walter »

Tim Rajeff demonstrates spine twist under heavy load

"There can be only one." - The Highlander. :pirate:

PS. I have a flying tank. Your argument is irrelevant.

PSS. How to generate a climbing loop through control of the casting stroke is left as a (considerable) exercise to the reader.
Torsten

Post by Torsten »

@Paul Can you push this thread to the tackle section, please,

Thanks,
Torsten
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Moved!!

I’ve played fish with rings at 45 degrees for more than two decades. My rods are always aligned this way unless they have Torzites, in which case tip section is out to 45, stripping guide section is in by 60 and the section between dissects these of course.

Cheers!
Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Torsten

Post by Torsten »

Hi Paul,

thanks, but seems like Video Masterclass / tackle, wouldn't be it better in the other tackle section?

--

Strange - somehow the Orvis advertisement looks similar to the Sage one, I believe this was about the Sage One or X.

@Nils, can you try Gordy's experiment with your accuracy rod - this means an oscillation test with an added weight to the tip (with the "wrong" spine?).

Thanks,
Torsten
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Such attention to detail :p

Moved to the tackle section!
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Post by VGB »

Can you put it in fly casting, it hasn't been there yet. Once Nils has done his test, it can go back to physics, so that we can understand why this constitutes a valid dynamical component test. Then it can go in the competition section, where the laser point accuracy will be most appreciated.
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Torsten

Post by Torsten »

most postings cover tackle talk - so it's fine here

In the German forum was recently a thread about these rods, sold for 1400€ here .. just wondering if they like to test the pain threshold of the customer? (for Paul great, so he can sell his gear with a higher margin, but for the industry overall(?))

This was the video with Bernd's comment,
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

VGB wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:42 pm
Bernd Ziesche wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 4:25 pm A plane. Still there is no straight tip path, nor will the fly line ever move straight. And tracking also will never be straight. BUT trying to keep the rod in plane often makes sense.
Regardless of what is happening to the fly line?
Hello Vince,
I dont understand your question. 🤪
Regards
Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
Bernd Ziesche

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Orvis on Instagram wrote:How do we know the new Helios is the most accurate fly rod ever made?
One of the keys to fly-casting accuracy is what happens at the tip of your fly rod at the end of the presentation cast. Any horizontal or vertical movement of the tip is transferred to the line, affecting the accuracy of the cast. When we were designing the new Helios fly rods, we developed a tool that uses infrared imaging to messure fly-rod tip displacement with laser precision. When we compared the Helios to top competitors, we had actual data to confirm what our product testers had been telling us: That this is the most accurate fly rod ever built, by a long shot. Ultimately, the results speak for themselves - in the lab and on the water.
Bernd on Instagram wrote: The loop has a fly-leg, a loop front and a rod-leg. The rod-leg indeed is formed post the end of the casting stroke. I agree with you in this. But I disagree, that the rod-leg has a significant impact. It's all about the fly-leg driving the fly to the fish (target). The impact of the rod as you desribe it has zero meaning to accuracy. Any proper caster hits the target with every rod on the market, while no rod on the market makes any improper caster hit the target. You can't sell accuracy. Everone needs to train casting skills to strike. A great rod in my opinion doesn't need such a marketing, but deserves better.
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.

Return to “Tackle”