PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Vinny
Answers: 0

Post by Vinny »

I thought I’d posed this question although Pauly will help me later on. I’m working on my 170 and I’m trying to emulate Pauly‘s movements through his videos as well as what he’s been teaching me through our zoom lessons.
I meant to ask Pauly this earlier, but there’s a 13 hour difference between him and I so he’s probably crashed. The question is why is it at times that I either slap myself in the face or slap myself in the back of the head when practicing the 170? Am I waiting too long, not long enough or casting too low, or combination of two? It happens more often when I’m tracking directly overhead.
Any feedback is always appreciated
rusty

Re: 170

Post by rusty »

👋Vinny,

If I’m not mistaken the 170 is an acute term for a flat backcast and a smashing forward cast and if I remember right this involves false casting with more than the weight forward section of flyline.

It could be fun to distance cast for a warm up exercise with the double haul but, save some for 170 practice because it also sounds like they is some casting fundamentals missing as well…

Flipflops,
🖋️
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Hi Vinny,

I think the problem is related to this statement:
It happens more often when I’m tracking directly overhead.
Cant your rod to the side a little so you're not standing in the path the line must take.

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Vinny,

Line coming through low can be a number of things. The “Dangle” can be a prime cause. Not allowing the loop to fully unroll is another. “Snatching” the line at the beginning of the stroke is another. A flat hand path is another. In fact there are many variables.

However what normally happens is for a low line to come through and clip the rod, often at the rod hand itself. For it to come through and hit the face I think this indicates that the loop has crossed in front of you. Either because of tracking or casting plane.
IMG_7439.jpeg
Cheers,
Pauly :D
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Vinny

Post by Vinny »

Thank you guys!
Pauly
Your illustrations are amazing 🤩
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Cheers. I can send you the original if you like.
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Vinny

Post by Vinny »

I’ll add it to my Arden collection 😎
Rickard

Post by Rickard »

This might give some insight to the smacking:

On a long carry it doesn’t take much dangle to smack yourself if the line passes straight over you.
Vinny

Post by Vinny »

Not sure I follow the above but thank you for sharing it!
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Vinny

I guess Rikard wanted to show a clip where one really can see that the dangle can smack one. And that casting more sidearm isn't the solution to that problem. Usually one also tries to throw the backcast further out (messen with tracking) and smacking gets worse :D some like that...
If tracking is out, the line has to change direction, and we are standing at the apex of that change. My waders can tell the stories of that :D

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)

Return to “Flycasting”