PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

glass vs graphite

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Phil Blackmar
Answers: 0

glass vs graphite

Post by Phil Blackmar »

“Many were increasingly of the opinion that they’d all made a big mistake in coming down from the trees in the first place." Douglas Adams

I have become enamored with casting a fiberglass fly rod. Not the old rustic nostalgic kind, but the newer versions. I recently got a CTS quartz 8'9" 8 wt and love how it feels. It got me thinking.

I like the slower action of the fiberglass because I can really feel the weight of the rod/line in the stroke which helps with my timing. Reminds me of golf and feeling the weight of the head in the swing. I don't find I have to wait or throw it easy, in fact, it's the opposite. Can I correctly state graphite fly rods bend less than their fiberglass counterpart? If so, when you combine less bend, or at least less bend in the middle section, with faster recoil of graphite, it would seem timing is more sensitive with a graphite rod than a fiberglass rod. I know that goes against the overall consensus, but, isn't that the reason manufactures went to putting bricks on the end of their lines to slow the action of modern rods slightly and provide more weight for feel? Is it possible, that in some cases, tho certainly not all, that a fly fisherman would be better off with a glass rod than a graphite?

Just curious.....

Thanks
Phil
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: glass vs graphite

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Phil,

Carbon rods got stiffer and stiffer, however the original carbon rods were like fibreglass but a much better version. Winston still make soft carbon rods I believe.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Just going to leave these here...

Rodmaterial says nothing about a rods action or stiffness, recovery rate is marketing BS. A heavier line doesn't change a rods action or stiffness. Minds do play tricks on people, especially fishermen minds.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
VGB

Post by VGB »

I have an Orvis Supafine graphite that is bendy as a bendy thing.
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

I love my (many) glass rods but I’m not going to give up the carbon fibre ones. Horses for courses.

PS - as a geologist, I strongly object to the implication that graphite has any place in a fly rod. It’s a truly amazing mineral, but it’s not noted for its tensile strength. Carbon fibre, on the other hand, is a very useful isomer of carbon in a structural setting. 😜
FFi CCI
VGB

Post by VGB »

You are of course correct Graeme, I’ve fallen into an Americanism which is criminal because I used to work for the company that first produced carbon fibre. I just checked on Tik Tok and it said don’t tell a geologist that rocks are dumb :D :D

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

You’ll be casting Spey rods next!
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

Graeme,

Thanks! I love to irritate some of my friends... like yelling "trout set" when they miss all their fish. Now I'm going to correct them with "carbon fiber" every time they say "graphite". :yeahhh:

I expect years of entertainment from that one. :D
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

VGB wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:11 am. I just checked on Tik Tok and it said don’t tell a geologist that rocks are dumb :D :D
😁

Is that the Mensa Tik Tok? 😜
FFi CCI
Phil Blackmar

Post by Phil Blackmar »

Graeme H wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:51 am I love my (many) glass rods but I’m not going to give up the carbon fibre ones. Horses for courses.

PS - as a geologist, I strongly object to the implication that graphite has any place in a fly rod. It’s a truly amazing mineral, but it’s not noted for its tensile strength. Carbon fibre, on the other hand, is a very useful isomer of carbon in a structural setting. 😜
I stand corrected Graeme, thank you. My father was a geologist and had an impressive mineral and crystal collection but his true love was Mexican agates. Here are a couple examples.
rocks med 79.jpeg
rock med 40.jpeg
Thanks
Phil

Return to “Flycasting”