PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Power pro braid fails

Moderators: Sudesh Pursad, Morsie

Lou Bruno
Answers: 0

Power pro braid fails

Post by Lou Bruno »

So, I experienced something odd! Let me explain, two non fly fishing friends will be joining me to fish. I rigged spinning rods for them. I looped the power braid line using a double surgeons knot, then I pulled the looped braid and the single running line...each time the braid would snap under tension only on the single running line!!

I eliminated the braided loop and tied on a section of fluorocarbon.i tested the knots under tension. The braid did not fail.

Why would tying the double surgeons knot loop cause the single running line to snap... Everytime?

Has me bewildered, the braid is new.

Lou
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Power pro braid fails

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Lou,

I know we are supposed to splice it, but I use Bimini Twist and Slim Beauty connections for different diameters and Eugene Bend to the fly!! Rarely I have a problem unless I don’t change the fly knot every few weeks, or the fly knot doesn’t set properly.

I’m using different braids.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lou Bruno

Post by Lou Bruno »

Paul

I would use a double surgeons knot to create my loop. Once I set the knot I'd test it by pulling on the loop and single running line. The braid would snap usually 6-8 in(20cm) above the knot. I did not tie the knot at that location and pull it down creating any heat.

I did use a Bimini, the line failed then too.

Lou
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

That’s strange. I know knots do different things to different materials, but I’ve certainly got away with some “monofilament knots” in braid. For me knots slipping in braid has always been the problem. What diameter/strength is it?

Just because it’s new doesn’t always mean it’s perfect. Or new in fact. But even so I don’t look after or replace braid in the same way as I do mono.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
James9118

Post by James9118 »

Lou Bruno wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:03 am Paul

I would use a double surgeons knot to create my loop. Once I set the knot I'd test it by pulling on the loop and single running line. The braid would snap usually 6-8 in(20cm) above the knot. I did not tie the knot at that location and pull it down creating any heat.

I did use a Bimini, the line failed then too.

Lou
Hi Lou,

The obvious conclusion from your observation above is that the failure has nothing to do with the knot then.

James
rusty

Post by rusty »

A:) gaucho uses gel spun and a camouflage tippet for leader material
Saltwater conditions could be suitable for a fluorocarbon line to monofilament leader or, vise versa?
~
&;) gaucho only knows how to three turn uni-knot or two turn double-barrel knot
~
The power pro spectra is best compatible with Berkley big game mono and can be a little too rough for saltwater spinning reels even in 12 lbs test diameter as a reference. Spinning reel class spectra is actually more like 6 lbs diameter equivalent but, scientific anglers does make a spool of 250 yds in 12 lbs equivalent for someone wanting to speed up a spinning outfit.

I often buy 300 yards and spool up 100 yards or, less at a time???
Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

If the line got damaged somehow while still on the original spool, then there will be a weak section at the same point on every rotation... so at repeating distances equal to the diameter of the spool.

Maybe that's what going on? :upside:
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Lou Bruno

Post by Lou Bruno »

I plan on pulling some power pro braid off of a couple reels later today and tie the double surgeons knot. Then see if the line fails, if it doesn't then, the line that was failing might have suffered some sort of damage.
One other thing, the reel was spooled at a trusted local retail tackle shop.

Will let you posted. I'm curious to try this later today..

Thanks
Lou
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

It’s possible that the line was damaged on the industrial sized spools before spooling too. Which will result in weak points at greater distances. However that doesn’t explain why it failed to break without the loop knot. Which knot did you use fluoro to braid, Lou? And what are the diameters/strengths involved?

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Lou Bruno

Post by Lou Bruno »

20lb braid to 20lb nylon, using the FG knot. I gave up creating a loop and used just the single running line.

The other two reels, 40lb braid, Bimini to 20lb nylon with FG knot. Both reels tied the same...no issues with the braid snapping.

The braid fails just on the one spool with the double surgeons loop.

Lou

Return to “Saltwater”