PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Line configuration affect on rod

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Line configuration affect on rod

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Vinny,

Grand slam is .75 heavy. From SA site:
“ Overweighted by .75 sizes to load rods quickly”*

Ballistic pro is bang on, AFFTA.

GS head weight 300 Grains
I don’t know the head weight of Ballistic but it’s 210 at 30’. There is a rear taper in there to make it sixty feet so it’s unlikely to be 420, but it’s almost certainly heavier than the GS. But I bet it doesn’t feel that way! The rod might not know, but I’m sure we do.

Cheers, Paul

*interesting that SA write this. I did some testing of lighter lines making faster shots than heavier lines. Heavier lines don’t load the rod quicker, only more, which in turn slows the shot.
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Graeme H
Answers: 0

Post by Graeme H »

Paul Arden wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:01 am *interesting that SA write this. I did some testing of lighter lines making faster shots than heavier lines. Heavier lines don’t load the rod quicker, only more, which in turn slows the shot.
I've always taken that little bit of marketing to mean "it loads the rod with less line outside the tip".

So for those guys who are stripping their lines in more than they should, the line will "load the rod" sooner in their casting cycle than a true-to-label line does.

Of course, I could be wrong. Who knows?

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Torsten

Post by Torsten »

Hi,

in my case was it a 18g casting plug, a short and a long shooting head and I've described my findings in #33, also somewhere in the archive is the discussion. I've snapped often enough casting plugs, usually this happens after non-smooth acceleration or if you forget to release the line :) My guess is an overshoot of the force function for a very brief period.

Greetings,
Torsten
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I normally fish the fly in close when fishing, so have to work the line out again. I think it comes from the big spring idea, that the road loads more with a heavier line, which is true, but this extra loading actually slows the stroke.

It’s obviously not what we do when we want to generate high line speeds. Otherwise we would be using softer rods that load more, instead of pokers in the WCs.

Heavier lines can be an advantage, but that has to do with the line itself and not what it does to the rod.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Post by VGB »

Torsten wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:30 am a short and a long shooting head and I've described my findings in #33
How long is a long shooting head Torsten?

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
George C

Post by George C »

Paul Arden wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:09 am
Otherwise we would be using softer rods that load more, instead of pokers in the WCs.
Hi Paul

Are you using “load” when you mean “bend”?

When a given mass is moved by a given force by two
levers of the same length but different stiffness isn’t the load the same???

Does a softer rod under load hold more elastic energy than a stiffer rod under the same load? Or do the rods hold the same elastic energy just in a different shape???

I’ve never been clear on this.
Thanks
George
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Sorry in that last sentence I should have written “bend” not “load”. You are correct George.

I believe that stored elastic energy would be the same between softer and stiffer rods under the same load. I don’t know if or how the dynamic loading changes this.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Torsten

Post by Torsten »

When we simplify the rod as a spring, the softer rod stores more spring energy for the same load.
Paul Arden wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:48 am Sorry in that last sentence I should have written “bend” not “load”. You are correct George.

I believe that stored elastic energy would be the same between softer and stiffer rods under the same load. I don’t know if or how the dynamic loading changes this.

Cheers, Paul
Torsten

Post by Torsten »

AFAIK it was ~20m for the long and ~10m for the short one; my premise was however to keep the fly/rod leg straight. When it's warmer I can try to repeat the experiment, perhaps I'm getting a different impression.
VGB wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:25 am
Torsten wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:30 am a short and a long shooting head and I've described my findings in #33
How long is a long shooting head Torsten?

Regards

Vince
VGB

Post by VGB »

Hi Torsten,

It might be worth repeating the experiment without hauling? I think that the issue is to do with your straight premise, any difference will be so slight that you either won’t detect it, or your hauling hand is tidying up the line layout.

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching

Return to “Flycasting”