PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Structuring multiple lessons

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Structuring multiple lessons

Post by Paul Arden »

Task 6 in section 2 is to teach one of the CCI casts to a candidate, which can be any task including task 8 or the CCI test. Personally I’ve always thought that half the MCI test should be teaching CI candidates and the over half teaching and demonstrating the additional MCI requirements.

Slow to Fast is a good one to analyse because it’s shows any challenges with the overhead stroke.

I don’t do “mentoring” but I do coach CIs and MCIs in my Zoom coaching. I don’t consider what I do to be mentoring because most mentoring isn’t paid and I have to buy potatoes!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
VGB
Answers: 0

Post by VGB »

Stoatstail50 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:21 am If the basic casting stroke is cramping a casters capacity to vary it then they have to learn how to change it so they can. In some quarters, here and in the US, the practice is to teach a basic stroke which is highly limiting. I don’t really understand why.
As you know, it’s a practice that sets my teeth on edge. An understanding of Fitts Law and the resultant speed accuracy trade off would make it obvious that a short stroke to achieve high line speed is bound to end causing significant force application problems for a learner. Anyone that has tried to stab the gaps between their fingers with a knife or compass will have directly experienced the effects of this law.

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

It would be interesting to write a CCI exam. All the exams have roots now dating back to the 90s. There has been numerous tweaks and modifications, but instead what it really needs nowadays is a clean slate. For as long as I can remember I’ve been suggesting that the exam should follow how we teach. Strangely enough, in the past it kind of did. It’s just how we teach nowadays has radically departed. At least for some of us. I know that there are still instructors who start beginners out with a 30ft of flyline PUALD cast!

Many of today’s issues could be fixed with a new exam. But I don’t expect that to come out of any of the current associations for a very long time. I think they are all a failure, and the reason they are a failure is partly because of the structure of the associations and partly because of other reasons.

More happy thoughts later!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Post by VGB »

Hi Paul

I think that you need a top down evaluation of what you want your instructor to do accompanied by a rationale as to why it is necessary. In some domains this is called a knowledge, skills and abilities specification.

Imo, the foundation cast serves the purpose of getting someone onto the water quickly with an opportunity to catch a fish with a short line cast and every instructor has the ability to teach this. What is missing is the knowledge that this solution impedes progress in skills development and the idealisation of the cast as the only good solution eventually limits fishing applications. Teaching movement skills and their application to problem solving will make any caster a better all round angler, accepting that is not everyone’s goal. Everything we do has to be scaleable to the needs of the customer.

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Stoatstail50 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:21 am It’s any task that requires an increase in linespeed Lasse, changing planes as an example. It’s not just about mentoring though, it’s about instructing in general.

If the basic casting stroke is cramping a casters capacity to vary it then they have to learn how to change it so they can. In some quarters, here and in the US, the practice is to teach a basic stroke which is highly limiting. I don’t really understand why.
Hi Mark

The diffence in speed needed from a vertical to a horisontal cast is minimal compared to what the average caster has as baseline speed of a cast. That's why I was wondering about the comment.
Mentoring part was a comment to Paul stating he doesn't mentor.

And yeah, 30 feet ish line and a fixed stroke is baseline for majority of instructors I have met the last 35 years, lifevest for instructors I guess, it's safe to use, and the students often expect it.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
VGB

Post by VGB »

Having had a cup of tea, I think that if you do your own top down analysis that it is entirely possible to set your own goals based on your customer community. All of the information is out there for both performance and learning, it’s just a matter of asking the right questions :kungfu:

Gotta fly.

Vince

Stoatstail50

Post by Stoatstail50 »

the students often expect it.
Yep...they do :)
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

For me it’s very straightforward, Vince. The first thing to learn is to cast loops. Not loops with 30’ of flyline. But just with the leader, with 1’ of flyline, 2’ etc etc up to whatever it can be.

They can play with loops that are tight, open, not straightening, falling to the ground. Loops initiated from a D loop. Loops in all planes and on both sides of the body.

They can try standing on their heads, casting between their legs, running after a bus, hanging upside down out of a tree. In fact the more challenges we can create the better. Because we are building loop control.

They can cast right foot forward, left foot forward, sitting down. Jumping up and down. Freezing their wrist. Freezing their elbow. Freezing their shoulder.

This is how to start someone casting. Not trying to immediately fit them into a box. But playing around to see what works and what doesn’t work.

Task 1 of any CCI test should be “how do you start someone casting?”

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Stoatstail50

Post by Stoatstail50 »

Paul Arden wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:17 pm For me it’s very straightforward, Vince. The first thing to learn is to cast loops. Not loops with 30’ of flyline. But just with the leader, with 1’ of flyline, 2’ etc etc up to whatever it can be.

They can play with loops that are tight, open, not straightening, falling to the ground. Loops initiated from a D loop. Loops in all planes and on both sides of the body.

They can try standing on their heads, casting between their legs, running after a bus, hanging upside down out of a tree. In fact the more challenges we can create the better. Because we are building loop control.

They can cast right foot forward, left foot forward, sitting down. Jumping up and down. Freezing their wrist. Freezing their elbow. Freezing their shoulder.

This is how to start someone casting. Not trying to immediately fit them into a box. But playing around to see what works and what doesn’t work.

Task 1 of any CCI test should be “how do you start someone casting?”

Cheers, Paul
First thing is to learn to look at the line.

Apart from that...and the bits about freezing...I agree again :)
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
VGB

Post by VGB »

What are the objective assessment criterion for this new task?

Regards

Vince

Return to “Teaching”