PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Structuring multiple lessons

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Structuring multiple lessons

Post by Paul Arden »

Ah. Shea and Morgan 1979.

While the blocked practise resulted in better results than the random practise group during acquisition, the random practise group had better retention and produced a better score than the blocked practise group 10 days later, even when the retention test was blocked.

Page 246.
IMG_7993.jpeg
That would add support to my suggestion that if a 40’ PUALD is your test requirement then they should train random PUALD lengths.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
VGB
Answers: 0

Post by VGB »

Distance isn’t the only variable to play with, you have environmental and equipment changes you can make. Making the pattern fuzzy means that the student has to solve problems and they are learning a transferable skill. If you think back to the AAPGAI assessment task of being handed unfamiliar equipment, you can appreciate how clever an assessment task that was.

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Totally.

Very interesting book. Thanks for that, Vince. Thoroughly interesting pages on practise and well as feedback. Totally destroys the idea that any sort of hands-on teaching is a good idea for learning. You might get fast results but they are lost immediately afterwards. Also installs the idea that we need to taper off with our knowledge of results feedback, delay them until after the student has had the chance to process it for themselves, and that providing real-time knowledge of performance is generally not good for long term learning.

Great not to be walking around in the dark quite so much. However I would be interested to hear more about that study in 1931 with the golfers who had practised for several weeks without the aid of vision outperforming those who had practised with vision :laugh:

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Stoatstail50

Post by Stoatstail50 »

There are a couple of interesting things about Shea and Morgan Paul. One is that it’s 45 years old…🙂

We run a risk with these theories though of creating binary choices, in this case between variable and blocked practice. Each has a different effect and whilst I have long favoured variable practice routines and in lesson drills for learning, if I’m mentoring I will still use some blocked practice for the reasons I explained earlier…self efficacy and error checking performance at test standards. When we use them, how we use them, in what combo or hybrid, is dependent on the objectives of the student.

Some of the objections to theories like this one, raised on here and elsewhere are that the processes they describe are too simple, short, single discrete movements that are not representative of complex sequences over time…like casts. I think schema theory deals with that objection exceptionally well and, like Vince, I couple it with a constraints led approach which introduces all the variation required to promote both retention and transfer.
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
VGB

Post by VGB »

Paul Arden wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:59 am However I would be interested to hear more about that study in 1931 with the golfers who had practised for several without the aid of vision outperforming those who had practised with vision :laugh:
They were probably all shite at golf :D :D
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I agree Mark, but that’s not typically what I see. I don’t see instructors training variable and blocked practise for their tasks. I see them typically only training the tasks blocked. *

And then no doubt this then leads them to coach this way too.

Cheers, Paul

*edit: as I pointed out earlier I encountered MCI candidates trying to learn new casts this way!

Flycasting Definitions
Stoatstail50

Post by Stoatstail50 »

I see them typically only training the tasks blocked. *
Yep. Variable drilling, as I understand it anyway, is not the convention. Direct instruction with Blocked Practice is the standard method.
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
VGB

Post by VGB »

A good explanation of the practical use and benefits of the Constraints Led Approach. There's a bit for both coaching leisure anglers and competition casters in this presentation:

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Cheers! I’ll have to watch this on my laptop or iPad later because I can’t read the text on my phone :D

Flycasting Definitions
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

VGB wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:40 am A good explanation of the practical use and benefits of the Constraints Led Approach. There's a bit for both coaching leisure anglers and competition casters in this presentation:

Good video Vince,

I wonder what the presenter would recommend for use for stretch and release in fly casting?

John

Return to “Teaching”