PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

FFi MCI test: comments and suggestions

Moderators: Paul Arden, Bernd Ziesche, Lasse Karlsson

Mangrove Cuckoo
Answers: 0

FFi MCI test: comments and suggestions

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

Folks,

The FFi is reaching out for comments or suggestions on the current MCI test.

A revision is apparently in the works, and they are looking for feedback, both positive and negative, so they can improve it.

I think they are only polling current assessors and MCIs, but I may be wrong. But, if you would like add something to their list for discussion, posting here just might find a way in. :whistle:

Although, I strongly suspect they have already gotten some ideas from folks on SL?

N'est pas, Lasse?

Also, in case y'all missed it... they have also recently come out with a glossary of casting terms, along with illustrations. Of course, it is not perfect, but it is broader and an improvement over anything else currently available. It too is open to comments and suggestions, I believe.

Personally, they get a tip from my cap. It appears the new idea is to improve casting education with input from where ever it may come.
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Lasse Karlsson

Re: FFi MCI test: comments and suggestions

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Gary

It does seem so, funny that aint it :D 7 months pointing out a problem that shouldn't have been there in the first place, and it might be gone next year...and that was just the start of my list, will just send the rest and be done with it, hope something good comes out in the end, new definitions doesn't really get my hopes up though...

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

I'm glad they've updated their definitions, especially the definition of creep, but this one triggers my OCD tendencies:

Casting_Planes.jpg

The fly leg is a 2D object. A plane going through it can occupy any orientation through 180°, from vertical to horizontal and beyond. For the "out of plane loop" image, they have drawn two vertical planes separated by some distance related to the width of the loop.

It should be shown as two planes with different dips intersecting at the rod tip and along the rod leg. The loop itself (ideally) occupies a plane, not one leg or the other.

I've modified it here to show a vertical rod plane and an inclined loop plane, but of course, we can produce an inclined rod plane and a vertical loop plane (or any combination of the planes as we discussed a little while ago.) The point is that the planes will intersect, not lie parallel as they depicted above.

Casting_Planes_Modified.jpg

[/rant]

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Graeme

It trickered mine too :D

Cheers
Lasse

Stoatstail50

Post by Stoatstail50 »

The creep definition is based on the idea that driving through a red light is only a fault if you have an accident.

The determination to avoid intentionality as a qualifier is a hangover from the arguments about the secret six or whatever it was before and right back to the rotation translation wars in 2007/8. This is presumably a nod to the sensitivities of individuals who won’t let it go.

Creep is a fault because it’s not part of the plan, it’s not supposed to be there, you’re not aware it’s happening, it’s a control error, it’s unintended. This is what distinguishes it from other purposeful rod positioning movements. What possible objection can there be to just saying that ?
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
VGB

Post by VGB »

The planes definition made me go “harrumph” as well. I learned that from watching Mark reviewing a modern art book in Iceland, it’s much more meaningful than any forensic evidence review.

Ignoring intentionality with respect to faults appears to be an attempt to make casting fit into neat little boxes to set good or bad casts for assessments. If you learned to cast to go fishing this rule based approach limits the options available to solve fishing related problems on the water.

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Anybody like to apply the FFI new definitions of loops to this cast? And tell me where it fits?

Cheers
Lasse
Screenshot_20240422_084807_Chrome.jpg

VGB

Post by VGB »

You are right Lasse, there’s no definition of a pointy loop :D
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

A tailing trailing bottle nose dolphin loop. Very rare to see one in the wild.
FFi CCI
Stoatstail50

Post by Stoatstail50 »

Anybody like to apply the FFI new definitions of loops to this cast? And tell me where it fits?
Here.

Loop
• The shape a fly line assumes as it overtakes the rod tip during a Fly Cast.
This is better than the SL one I think 🙂
Casting Definitions

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.

Return to “Teaching”