PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Essentails Revisited

Moderators: Paul Arden, stesiik

Unregistered
Answers: 0

Essentails Revisited

Post by Unregistered »

Love the SL "ignore mode". I will start practicing it from now on. :cool:
Bernd Ziesche

Essentails Revisited

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Paul Arden wrote: Stop in English can either mean stationary or the act of stopping. You're meaning the act if stopping ie a deceleration. Why don't you call it this then? Ie decelerating the rod is your essential. But isn't that just tied into proper application of force?

Cheers, Paul
You mean like proper timing is tied to the proper cast?
We could just teach "the proper cast" to be essential... :p

I have chosen my essentials in an order, in which I saw most problems in my students casting. My idea was to stick their nose into exactly those fields of casting, in which usually problems start.

Not sure about english language here, but in German 99% of the people would talk about stopping a rod, not decelerating it.
Do you decelerate a car or do you stop it? Sure both can be used. Its just I prefer the wording which will fit best for most people.

I think when reading "smooth acceleration to an abrupt stop" a hell lot of people would think about what I would want them to think about.
"Proper force application" needs quite some further explanation I think?

In the end we both can teach both ways and both routs will do a fine job for us.

How is it in case of a stand alone set of 5 or 6 essentials?
I have asked many students about my essentials and what that might be about. :) Very interesting for me to see, if they get the right idea by themthelves!
Greets
Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Essentails Revisited

Post by Paul Arden »

I think you should call them Bernd's Absolutes! That way we can have the Essentials, the Absolutes and the Principles and we all know what the hell we're talking about :cool:

Funny story Aitor, I thought someone was seriously having a go at me. At first I thought he was just deleting his posts after changing his mind about something. But then I realised, no this guy is just posting blanks at me. What a fucker! I couldn't believe it, how rude, I was actually considering banning him from the Board. And then I realised I had him on ignore :p

Cheers Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Unregistered

Essentails Revisited

Post by Unregistered »

Paul Arden wrote:And then I realised I had him on ignore :p

Cheers Paul
And later you realized that you don't really need the "ignore button" to ignore some posters. :whistle:
Chase Jablonski

Essentails Revisited

Post by Chase Jablonski »

You don't need to stop the rod? I am pretty sure you stop it all the time in your casting unless you form endless circles or something like that.
So, if we all stop the rod all the time, it seems to be very essential to me.

I can cast without adjusting the arc all the time.
I can cast with having some slack line in my casting.
I can cast with a non smooth force application/acceleration.
I can have a non perfect timing (in fact I have it mostly).
I can rotate my rod too early or too late.

But I can not cast without stopping the rod. Stopping the rod to me is as essential as accelerating it. Both I want to teach how to control them and how to do it in a proper way.
Greets
Bernd
I think we can all agree that the essentials as they stand are present, or at least suggested, in every normal overhead cast by a good caster. A good caster can, however, make a good cast even while violating each one of the essentials. Therefore, I think of the "essentials" as more of a common theme in good casts, not something that must be present in order for it to be a good cast.

While on most casts every caster eventually stops the butt of the rod out of necessity, it is clear to me that the stop is not an integral part to making the cast function well. As has been mentioned, none of us actually stop before loop formation, so the stop, while it occurs, is largely irrelevant to the cast.

I find that in most of my casts I progress smoothly from power application to drift. I don't typically stop moving, even if I do technically "stop" when switching to the subsequent stroke.

Perhaps, if anything were to be added, deceleration would be a better "6th essential," since we all do that in every cast and it directly affects the cast.

Chase
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Essentails Revisited

Post by Paul Arden »

I'm not ignoring you Aitor, I simply agree with what you write for once. :)

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Essentails Revisited

Post by Paul Arden »

Chase, I agree with you too man (just in case you thought I was ignoring you).

Cheers Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Marc Fauvet

Essentails Revisited

Post by Marc Fauvet »

where's the ignore button ? i don't see it on the new board.
Bernd Ziesche

Essentails Revisited

Post by Bernd Ziesche »

Chase Jablonski wrote:As has been mentioned, none of us actually stop before loop formation, so the stop, while it occurs, is largely irrelevant to the cast.
Hi Chase,
I am not sure I understand that sentence.
Loop formation to me usually seems to be the consequence/result of stopping the rod (not the other way round).
If the stop is irrelevant to the cast, why do we stop the rod in every cast?

Or are you talking about the rod being motionless as "stopping it"? If so I think it hardly ever is motionless, if we take it to detail.
Greets
Bernd
http://www.first-cast.de
The first cast is always the best cast.
Chase Jablonski

Essentails Revisited

Post by Chase Jablonski »

Bernd Ziesche wrote: Hi Chase,
I am not sure I understand that sentence.
Loop formation to me usually seems to be the consequence/result of stopping the rod (not the other way round).
I think most of this discussion revolves around the semantics of what "stop" means.

You used the analogy of a car, so I'll stick with that. If you tell me to stop the car as quickly as I can I will press hard on the brake and bring it to a complete stop. That's not what I do when casting. For me, fly casting is more about tapping the brakes at the end of the acceleration phase to facilitate loop formation. Loop formation is the result of a slight deceleration, not a complete stop.
If the stop is irrelevant to the cast, why do we stop the rod in every cast?
Or are you talking about the rod being motionless as "stopping it"? If so I think it hardly ever is motionless, if we take it to detail.
Eventually the rod has to stop the same way every car has to eventually stop. Just because the rod switches direction (stops) at the very end of the stroke, does not mean the stop has anything to do with how the cast turns out.

To take it to the extreme, if I never stopped moving in the direction of the stroke after deceleration I would just continue to drift. Eventually I would reposition the static line, which could continue infinitely. We stop because it's convenient not because it affects the loop.

Cheers,

Chase

Return to “Flycasting”