PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Favorite Hi Viz parachute wing post?

Moderator: Viking Lars

Dave Alexander
Answers: 0

Post by Dave Alexander »

What's everbody's Favorite Hi Viz parachute wing post? Interested in hearing both color and material.

I have tried poly in white and yellow which seems ok, white sometime blend in with river foan so unless you leave the post longish it can be hard to see. I tend to Nymph fish with dries a considerable distance, and depending on the water find it difficult to track the dry. I don't find polarized lenses help some times either.

This winter I have tied some Klinks & Para's using craft foam in Orange and lime/chartruse which seem kinda nice, just not sure what the best is. Sometime you think something will be King, and then you use it and doesn't always pan out...

Anyone try Mc Flon, Mc Fly foam or the Mc Fly clown? They have some nice bright colors, but some of its really designed for eggs so it may not float so well...
rabbitangler

Post by rabbitangler »

Must admit I cant see past tiemco pink aero dry from a floatability and sighting point of view.
Hamish

Post by Hamish »

rabbitangler wrote:Must admit I cant see past tiemco pink aero dry from a floatability and sighting point of view.
Seconded.
Introduced to me by 'our Ben' and I can't see past it, no pun intended.

H

In Verbo Tuo Laxabo Rete
Biology

Post by Biology »

Hi Dave - Tiemco Dry Wing fl pink for visibility, if you can live with grey or white, Niche siliconised polypropylene yarn is the unsurpassed.

Andy
bebob

Post by bebob »

If you don't fancy paying 10 or so euros for the Tiemco buy a metre of multicoloured polypropylene rope from your hardware store and unravel. Gives several colours, costs cents and floats pretty good too!
Harps

Post by Harps »

I like the treated poly or z/s-lon stuff (Hareline/wapsi Para-post, SuperFly S-lon, Caps- Saap Float Vis are my 3 favourites).

I like fluorescent pink and chartreuse, white, and black.

I find I use black quite a bit as it offers a more visible silhouette against the shine on the surface. Fl. Pink sticks out the best to me everywhere else.

I don't like McFly foam as it tends to ball up and not stand like a good clump of poly does.
Blackwater

Post by Blackwater »

I am also a fan of the Tiemco Aero Dry but the price at $30+ is getting a bit crazy.

Another material that i have found which is similar and much cheaper is SAAP Float VIs that Harps has mentioned. Nice bright fluro colours as well as more subtle shades when wanted. I have been getting good results using it.
Marc Fauvet

Post by Marc Fauvet »

EP Trigger Point Int'L Fibers http://www.epflies.com/estore/category/4893
VGB

Post by VGB »

“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Crackaig

Favourite Hi Viz parachute wing post?

Post by Crackaig »

If you think about the position of the wing on a parachute fly while it is on the water the wing doesn't come into contact with the water. For that reason I don't see any need for a specifically buoyant material for this. So while Aero Wing is very nice it is rather wasted in this use. Unless you intend to pull the fly under to let it pop up. (There's an exception to every rule).

With this in mind I usually use Antron Body Yarn. Its cheap and easily obtained. For visibility I have found the best colour to be peach. It stands out very well. Much better than the pink Aero Wing I have tried.

Cheers,
C.

Return to “Flytying”