PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Looking for #5 MED line

Dirk le Roux
Answers: 0

Looking for #5 MED line

Post by Dirk le Roux »

Hi all

I placed an order for two comp MED lines from our local Scientific Anglers agents months ago. Since then it has been a frustrating story from "should be here within the next three weeks" to "SA have not been making any recently".

So I am turning to the trusty Sexyloops Board in the hope that one of you will be able to set me placing a safe order for shipping two comp eligible MED 5's to Pretoria?

Thanks in advance and all of the best,
Dirk
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Looking for #5 MED line

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Dirk,

You can try Madison River Fishing Company. Friends of mine from way back.

https://www.mrfc.com/

Alternatively is this for team competitions? I can also put you in touch with SA directly. They are very helpful for teams and competition.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Dirk le Roux

Post by Dirk le Roux »

Thanks for your reply, Paul.

Your friends at Madison River don't have 5 weights in stock. In fact, those seem to be like hen's teeth at the moment.

I am not sure what competitions a South African team could partake in these days, but if that would help, Leslie and I can form a team. He already has a #5 MED :pirate:

All the best,
Dirk
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Alrighty, let me see what I can do :)

Flycasting Definitions
James9118

Post by James9118 »

This is one of the problems with the #5 event at the WCs - we're tied to a line that is extremely hard to get hold of and it's very expensive to ruin them in practice. Also this line doesn't suit everybody given the carry requirement (although I guess it does make you push your skill level up if you're not comfortable with 85ft +). At least at the BFCC you can use any #5 line with the constraints that it's off the shelf (and un-modified), AFFTA compliant and a minimum length.

James
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I don’t know why it hasn’t happened yet but SA actually offered to sponsor the event with lines of a different colour but the same MED taper. A different colour for each event was discussed even (bright red or something!). I have no idea why this was not followed through. Then everyone would get a line when they arrive and not just a couple of flies.

I’ve put a hell of a lot of teams in touch with SA. There are some good discounts for teams. It just needs to come from one team member responsible for it, so that they are not sending lines to each person. I’m just checking in with SA at the moment. I’ll drop you an email when back from the river next week.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Tom Benson

Post by Tom Benson »

Hi Dirk
I purchased a SA extreme line pre SAR virus : not used ! But have ordered another from my Northern Supplier ! If , it arrives ( ? )..
Then I,ll let you know ......
But .... it'll be a private message (( I hate the whole concept of private etc ))
But ......
Tom
Dirk le Roux

Post by Dirk le Roux »

Thanks both Paul and Tom. I'll look out for further stirrings.
Dirk le Roux

Post by Dirk le Roux »

Just to let know, the order arrived at our local Pretoria shop at long last! :yeahhh:
Tom Benson

Post by Tom Benson »

Hi Dirk, I'm pleased that you managed to obtain the SA ext. 5wt. I also have managed to obtain one !
regards Tom. :kungfu: :kungfu:

Return to “Casting Sport”