PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Fly Casting Sport Competition Training

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Nicely tied mate. :pirate:
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Matthew Stevens
Answers: 0

Post by Matthew Stevens »

Very interesting commentary on some of your practice routines. I practice during my lunch break, right when the south easter blows at full force.

I am interested to hear if there is any training you guys do for casting that isn't actually casting. For example; weight lifting, boxing or yoga?
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

Nothing for general fitness, but I’ve been trying to get in the routine of doing exercises to help ‘strengthen’ my right shoulder and hopefully reduce the effect of shoulder impingement. Trouble is I think I should probably do them permanently and I seem to do them for a week or two then forget for 3 weeks :D
crunch

Post by crunch »

I had very bad ”tennis elbow” last season and I think best healing I got was when I began using Power Ball which did cost 25 euros. I have used rubbers to keep my shoulders and arm muscles and joints in some kind of off season casting shape many years. Before season I begin casting stroke exercise using a scrab rod butt section which I have wrapped two meters of thick ”surcial tubing” about 15cm above the handle which other end is on door knob.

Esa
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Matthew,

I try to do a triathlon every year at the moment. But I didn’t train for the last one :D I go through periods of doing 2hrs of fitness per day followed by long spells of debauchery. I think fitness training with weights is important and helps at the very least to prevent injury. Unfortunately I don’t think there is enough information available on this subject and most of us are simply trying to make it up as we go. There is certainly no disadvantage to a regular weights program and it has many benefits to just being healthy and living a longer life :)

I woukd certainly recommend some fitness training even if you don’t do casting sport! With casting sport I do believe that it is very beneficial.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Casting Sport”