PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Starting competition distance practice

GoldenDorado
Answers: 0

Starting competition distance practice

Post by GoldenDorado »

Hi guys, I´started las weekend to practice for distance casting, and plan to do it again next. As a plan, i'll concentrate on carry, so my question is how much line of carry is possible, using a SA #5 Expert distance line. Talking from my ignorance, I think that no much more than the 20,9 meters of the head, as I have the concept that running line can´t be casted.
Thanks!
James9118

Re: Starting competition distance practice

Post by James9118 »

Hi GD,

I think most would agree that to get the best from a MED #5 your carry (measured from where you hold the line for hauling to the end of the fly line) should be around 26m give or take a bit depending on weather conditions. The best distances with WF lines are generally achieved when you have some overhang of the head i.e. some running line is also outside of the tip when casting.

Regards, James
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Agree with James, we want the full head, and then a hauls length, and then some for the line being pulled around, depending on when one release, and of course the length down the rod to the hauling hand.
And then there's the kicker, one should learn to carry more, as going only to the edge doesn't leave wiggle room, we need to be in control and in our comfort zone to deliver a great cast. That's why just about all distancw casters are looking at increasing their carry, so their comfort zone gets bigger. So if 26 is a good place to deliver from, one really needs a confort zone to at least 27, and probably skating on thin ice with 28.
Its a super learning tool and a great journey 😊

Happy casting

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
GoldenDorado

Post by GoldenDorado »

Thanks a lot James and Lasse! Then 26/28 mt will be my goal this weekend. My idea is to start at 20-22mt and add lenght once I master that distance with total control and tension in the whole line.
I´ll start with a #6 rod, (Vision Merisuola) and then try with a #9 TFO BVK .
Thanks again.
Cheers,
Sebastian
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

26m is 85ft. When I last measured mine (there is a video of me casting on a floating log somewhere) it measured in at 88’6 and so I went back out and carried 92’.

It’s also depends where you are in relation to sea level. With this line I can usually carry approx 95’ max at sea level but 1 mile high I can carry 105’. However optimal for me for delivery is somewhere around 90’ and if I have a little bit of a tail wind I’ll try to carry a little more.

Good luck Sebastian!! Working on carry first is exactly the right way to proceed I think. There is something quite fascinating about carrying a long line. It’s probably the most enjoyable part of casting for me.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
GoldenDorado

Post by GoldenDorado »

Thanks a lot Paul! Last Saturday I started, maximum carry with some kind of control was 24 mt, then everything starts to fall apart. In no wind best shot was 30,7 mt, Ill post a video of it soon.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

One thing I'd recommend Sebastian, is to try to build your stroke around tracking first and foremost. If the line is not travelling over the tip of the rod but curving around on the backcast then it's going to be impossible to carry a longer length and everything else is wasted. So tracking is paramount. Then it's about weight shift, delayed rotation, late power, and a fast haul.

Video will be great. Remember we don't need to see the loop or even the rod. Just you! Side on is perfect and if you want to post an unflattering view then head-on facing you (and for that one I'd like to see the rod tip!). But I find the side view most important for analysis - and either side is fine. Trying to video the line as well is not very useful because then it's impossible to see what you are doing with your grip etc. (Later it becomes important).

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Casting Sport”