PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

First distance casting practice

Dirk le Roux
Answers: 0

Re: First distance casting practice

Post by Dirk le Roux »

John Waters wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:59 am Focus on the elbow. It follows a triangle throughout the total cast, back and forward. Each side of the triangle must be a straight line. Now, I know that great Greek caster Pythagorus, would say that is obvious, but I think it is important to state. If you do that you can throw your backcast up and your forward cast up, without any loop issues. The beneficial outcome is the both trajectory achieved and the speed generated.
John, you've lost me there on the elbow movement and triangle. Could you correlate phases of the elbow's motion to each of the triangle's three legs, please? Or sketch it?

Thanks!
Dirk
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

John Waters wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:59 am

I understand that the green MED has a shorter profile before the level running line, than that of the orange MED.
Great post John!

Only difference between orange and green MED besides colour, is the orange has a longer runningline, tapers are the same.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Thanks Lasse, I did not know that about the green MED, appreciated. I have not forgotten that vid mate, just need to find it.

Hi Bart,

Below is a diagram of the hand path that follows a triangle for fly distance.

F/C is the straight line followed on the forward cast
B/C is the straight line followed on the back cast
ADJ is the adjustment made by the rod hand to reposition for the next backcast.

It allows the caster to direct the backcast upwards and direct the forward cast upwards. The shape of the triangle alters depending on conditions and the length of line cast. It is fully compatible with both the 170 technique and short arc distance techniques as well as being supportive of, and compatible with, any drift movement used in either technique.

My best mate and the best caster I have ever seen, Wlodek Targosz uses it brilliantly as do the super casters from the Czech Republic. This sub-technique has been around tournament casting since the sport started.

Hope it makes sense and apologies for the the confusion in my earlier posts.

/Users/castclin/Pictures/Photos Library.photoslibrary/originals/F/F3B274E7-3143-4CB0-B7CE-65F85E57D411.jpeg

John
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Bummer, I stuffed that up; my ability to master technology matches my casting.

How do I post a photo that I have taken and stored on my MacBook?

Thanks in advance,

John
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi John, use full editor and preview box not quick reply and then at the bottom of the posting box attachments > Add files. You need to ensure that the file is under a certain size usually by resizing it first.
Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Thanks Paul, appreciated.

John
Attachments
IMG_2126.JPG
IMG_2126.JPG (63.93 KiB) Viewed 2642 times
Dirk le Roux

Post by Dirk le Roux »

Thanks, John

So, the triangle is a hand path, not an elbow path?

Cheers
Dirk
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

No Bart, it should be the elbow, because that determines the extent of rotation of the forearm in the cast. Of course, once the forearm rotates through the vertical the hand leads, but by then most of action has expired.

John
James9118

Post by James9118 »

Lasse Karlsson wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:15 pm
Only difference between orange and green MED besides colour, is the orange has a longer runningline, tapers are the same.

Cheers
Lasse
Hi Lasse,

The confusion arises from what's printed on the back of the MED box - look at the head lengths:
MED taper.jpg
Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

John,

Thank you... that is very interesting.

I had to rotate my screen 90 degrees clockwise to figure it out. I hope that is OK? Or, am I totally lost?

The concept sort of agrees with what I believe I understood when listening to a few better US casters recently. And, since then, I have been trying to switch to a more elbow forward style.

Do the lines in your diagram represent length of elbow travel, or just direction?

I have to admit that raising the elbow higher on the FC was a bit hard for me to adopt, but the length that I have incorporated is much shorter than in the BC.

Is the ADJ phase where the shoulder muscles are involved to add input to the FC?

Are there any videos of the super Czech casters?

Sorry for all the questions but I find this stuff interesting!

Gary
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”

Return to “Casting Sport”