PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Casting direction

John Waters
Answers: 0

Casting direction

Post by John Waters »

Hi All,

Putting some thoughts on paper and am interested in your responses to a quick straw poll about your natural release direction and would be very appreciative of any responses casters may wish to offer. By "natural release", I mean your release direction without any intentional body movement, or rod movement, which would impact that natural loop direction.

Consider the courts used in fly distance casting, namely the "V" court used in ICSF events and the "train track" court used in Fly Casting events. Assume there is no wind at all or you are casting indoors with no moving air whatsoever.

If you stand in the centre of the court and place your feet in your standard position for the delivery. At your line release point

- does your loop extend down the centre line,

- or, does your loop extend to the right of the centre line,

- or, does your loop extend to the left of the centre line?

Happy to receive a pm if that is suitable.

Thanks in advance,

John
James9118

Re: Casting direction

Post by James9118 »

Hi John,

If I'm casting well and relaxed I tend to go pretty much straight down the middle. If I'm not casting well, maybe a bit tense and perhaps hitting it a bit early, then the front half of my line will veer off to the left. I never go right unless the wind takes it that way.

James
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

If all goes to plan, straight down, if not, both left and right are quite possible outcomes 😊

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Thanks James and Lasse, appreciate you taking the time to respond.

John
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Pretty much the same as Lasse. There often is a wind of course and if there are two lanes touching this can affect how much you can move. There are also times when I think it’s best to put the fluff near the measuring line. I’m happy to put shots down left and right.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Thanks Paul, much appreciated.

John
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:32 am Pretty much the same as Lasse. There often is a wind of course and if there are two lanes touching this can affect how much you can move. There are also times when I think it’s best to put the fluff near the measuring line. I’m happy to put shots down left and right.

Cheers, Paul
In the swedish comps, we use a tape going straight down from the zero line, so no use to lay it close to the measuring tape, it comes in later 😉 when om water with crappy accuracy in reading the distance, absolutly close to the tape if possible.

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Yep for me it might be a throw back from casting down a tape and not down a lane. The tape helps tracking. Of course there is the risk of being blown out. Anyway I’d rather get it in. get it measured and get it back out again - and that’s all much quicker if it lands close to the judges‘ side. There is no ambiguity when it’s there for all to see.

So if I have a plan at all, it’s to put it down the middle to see what the elements are doing, and then put it inside of one of the lines, preferably the one closest to the judges. If there is a cross-wind I have to move of course.

We probably need drones or overhead cameras. Action replays. Pompom girls. Free beer. Huge financial rewards just for turning up.

The judges could be sitting in air conditioned rooms, measuring through video replay, while sipping chilled Merlot. All highly sophisticated.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Dung Fly

Post by Dung Fly »

When I'm not trying, my casts will go exactly where I want them - straight down the middle. When the pressure is on and my traking goes circular the line will tend to land to the right ny 2-3m, after spotting this and relaxing, going through a breathing cycle to regain composure the cast will go back to being straight or 1m to the left. I did find that when using an extended style it can be more exagerated.

I do cast right handed.
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Thanks Andy, much appreciated. Stay well.

John

Return to “Casting Sport”