PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Averaging 118' with a #5

nicholasfmoore
Answers: 0

Averaging 118' with a #5

Post by nicholasfmoore »

Hi all,

Thanks to James and Paul i am averaging 118' with a #5 after only a few months of hard work :cool: When i feel like I've hit it perfectly, i run to the end of the tape thinking it's going to be a massive improvement and it ends up being 119' :laugh:

My technique for this is to use a full ROM, but i would like to consistently hit 100' with a very compact stroke 'flip flop' (yes i know Paul) without driving my hand out on the forward cast. I've noticed that Jerry does this, hand up and down to cycle the false casts, and then he drives his hand out on the delivery to generate extra speed. Currently with flip flop i can only reach 90' and i don't know how to improve :( i would be grateful for any suggestions :cool:

All the best

Nick
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
Lasse Karlsson

Re: Averaging 118' with a #5

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Haul faster.....
😉

And congrats!

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Zhongxiang

Post by Zhongxiang »

Nice work!
It reminds me when I first got into distance casting I received a lot of help from here and personal coaching from James. Oh and he's good at coaching student to beat himself :D :D :D
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Good casting Nick, well done. My suggestion is don't drive your hand out to generate extra speed, you are reducing speed by doing that.

John
James9118

Post by James9118 »

Zhongxiang wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:45 pm Nice work!
It reminds me when I first got into distance casting I received a lot of help from here and personal coaching from James. Oh and he's good at coaching student to beat himself :D :D :D
:D :D :D I've learnt my lesson now, as soon as Nick gets to mid 120's that's it :pirate:
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

That’s awesome mate. Really excellent - well done and congratulations!!!

Send me some video!!!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

Haul faster.....
😉

And congrats!
Thank's Lasse! My hauling arm already feels like the below photo after a session, but i will try :cool:

Thank you all for the advice and the kind words :cool: Sexyloops is a fantastic resource full of wonderful people and it's great to be a part of the community :sorcerer:
:D :D :D I've learnt my lesson now, as soon as Nick gets to mid 120's that's it :pirate:
LOL! :laugh:
That’s awesome mate. Really excellent - well done and congratulations!!!

Send me some video!!!

Cheers, Paul
Thank you, Paul! Of course, i need to find a nice grassy section and do it for you as the training ground isn't great for video. You'' have to show me how you hit 100 odd feet with your flip flop, i'd be interested to see :cool:

All the best!
Nick M

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Sure no worries. In fact I know for a fact that the animated GIF that I used in Dirty Harry section was 100’. 105 was my limit with that stroke. That’s why I had to change it :D

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
nicholasfmoore

Post by nicholasfmoore »

Thanks man! Yes i did see that gif and it's really cool, the stroke just feels great as most of the forward stroke is made behind you, and for some reason, i really dig this :)

All the best
Nick M

Return to “Casting Sport”