PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

PUALD Challenge

Boisker
Answers: 0

Re: PUALD Challenge

Post by Boisker »

Cheers Lasse... that’s helpful... I’ll stop letting it irritate me so much :D
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Out of curiosity what was the result for you when you just measured the longest? The results for us were pretty comprehensive from a shootout. We only measured the longest of course.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

That was an interesting one. Over ten years ago now. We had a shootout at the Scottish Meet, James, Ben, Lee and myself. Scotty had bust his back from a skiing accident and so was keeping scores!

HT6 that I had used in three championships and got me to the final twice. Two 8WTs and one 10WT. All MED5.

Everyone threw the 6 the shortest distance. I think everyone threw the 10 the furthest. For me there was 2 metres between my shortest and longest and I threw the HT6 the same distance as I had in the WC finals (the wind disrupted one).

Of course we won’t have been the only ones who have done this test. The Swedes and Finns are using stiffer rods. Norwegians too. We were playing catch-up.

Even back when we started throwing the MED5, the rod was a TCR5 which wasn’t exactly a size 20 dry fly rod.

But I still stand by that and think it’s up to about 2 metres. I use that as the maximum difference and not the minimum for people who say “but you are using ten weight rods”. It’s usually a bit less, but it’s always more than softer rods for skilled casters, always less for those who can’t adjust their stroke - in fact there are very many casters who can’t make it work at all!

Also because the arc can be truncated it’s less susceptible to a dangling end. But that’s another discussion!

Didn’t measure yesterday James. I will try again today. If I stick the boat against the bank, run the tape out and have Ashly measuring and filming from the other end it should be possible. It’s fantastic living on the water, but the lack of shallows and the steepness of the banks makes life difficult for measuring casts. When we take the video you’ll see what I mean :laugh:

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Paul Arden wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:09 am Out of curiosity what was the result for you when you just measured the longest? The results for us were pretty comprehensive from a shootout. We only measured the longest of course.

Cheers, Paul
It was posted on the board mate, all is here somewhere 😉
So where your numbers eventually, and they didnt show what you said they did...

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Well that’s possible :D

Flycasting Definitions
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

Well... it won’t come as a great surprise that I can’t cast quite as far with a 5w med compared to a 6w ballistic... :D
I didn’t take a tape measure with me, but had 60’ and 100’ marked on the line... I reckon I was consistently about 8’ down compared to the 6w line..
I think I need to spend a bit of time with the med, and reduce how much I pick up for a few days... being lighter was definitely causing me to rush the stroke and apply to much force to early in the stroke... I was losing control of the backcast loop far more, so I definitely need to take a few steps back until I improve my control again....
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Matt, the MED has a 10 feet longer head than the ballistic, and it matters a bit more than the slight added weight of the 6 wt. Find what you can lift clean, shoot into the BC and see if it helps :)

And you'll find the numbers from my experiments in this thread:

http://www.sexyloops.co.uk/theboard/vie ... it=Average

Still looking for Pauls numbers :D

Cheers Lasse

James9118

Post by James9118 »

Lasse Karlsson wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 8:26 pm
Still looking for Pauls numbers :D

Cheers Lasse
I used to have the numbers but they were lost in the great computer crash of 2019 (fucking microsoft :glare: ) so I can't help either.

James
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

James, Paul found them ( or was it you?) And posted them here... haven't found them again though 🤣🤣🤣

Cheers
Lasse

Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Return to “Casting Sport”