PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

PUALD Challenge

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

PUALD Challenge

Post by Paul Arden »

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/puld-challenge :pirate:

I’ll have a go this week! Are there any other rules? Can I stand on my boat roof? :D I’ll have to use a Tropical MED here but I won’t win anyway because long casts in Malaysia are not possible!

Hard to tell all your improvements James from one back and forward cast :laugh: but I like the early release!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
James9118
Answers: 0

Re: PUALD Challenge

Post by James9118 »

The rules are you have to measure - no casting into the dark and guessing :D
Are tropical MEDs available for purchase by the way - I'd like a #7 for bonefishing?
Yup, that haul sucks, I've still got plenty of errors, but I'm chucking these further lately :pirate:

Cheers, James

P.s. the comment about not casting as far in Malaysia is an interesting one. We both know this is true and it's where the belief that high humidity reduces distance comes from, however from a pure physics point of view the air density reduces with humidity so hypothetically the distance should maybe improve.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi James,

Yup. I understand the humidity arguments but for some reason the opposite appears to be the case. Same with casting in fog of course.

Tropical 7, not sure, I don’t think any tropical MEDs are available for purchase - I would like one too! The tropical 5 MEDs was a gift for the Malaysian team. Josh at SA happened to have a few for his casting in Michigan and very kindly sent us some over. A standard MED here is just too sticky and limp and no fun to cast.

It’s a great taper. I wish they would make it in all weights, densities and colours.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
James9118

Post by James9118 »

Quick update to say that Bart de Zwaan is now in the lead with 129ft 7in :yeahhh: :oh: :oh: :oh: :pirate:
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

That’s a great cast from the King. :pirate: I’ll pick up a tape measure Tuesday. What was your distance again, James?

Flycasting Definitions
James9118

Post by James9118 »

Paul Arden wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 6:21 pm That’s a great cast from the King. :pirate: I’ll pick up a tape measure Tuesday. What was your distance again, James?
Mine was 128ft. The cast that kicked this all off, from TC, was 124ft. I think someone is going to go over 130 :pirate:
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

When is the last day to give it a go?

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
James9118

Post by James9118 »

Lasse Karlsson wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:25 pm When is the last day to give it a go?

Cheers
Lasse
Hi lasse,

I think it should run for quite a while to give everyone the chance to get out in the conditions they find most favourable. As long as we have the winner before the start of the next trout season we're good.

Cheers, James
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

James9118 wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:52 pm
Lasse Karlsson wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:25 pm When is the last day to give it a go?

Cheers
Lasse
Hi lasse,

I think it should run for quite a while to give everyone the chance to get out in the conditions they find most favourable. As long as we have the winner before the start of the next trout season we're good.

Cheers, James
Hi James

Who's trout season start would you be aiming for ;)
And will we have a side bet on how long the longest will be?

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
James9118

Post by James9118 »

Lasse Karlsson wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:04 pm Hi James

Who's trout season start would you be aiming for ;)
And will we have a side bet on how long the longest will be?

Cheers
Lasse
Hi Lasse,

The prize is a day on the river Dee here in Wales, so I guess we should go for that trout season. Not that it matters because the Welsh Dee is more renowned for grayling than trout. It all depends on Covid too.

Yes, a side bet on the longest would be interesting. Over 40m is going to happen, how much over I don't know :D

Return to “Casting Sport”