PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

PUALD Challenge

Boisker
Answers: 0

Re: PUALD Challenge

Post by Boisker »

Paul Arden wrote: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:36 am Ha! Sorry been away all week. It will happen this week :D If I pass 100’ I’ll be happy. There you go Boisker, you can beat me!

Cheers, Paul
Not yet I cant :D :D :D
I’m still some way off 100’

I’ll be out on the field again this lunchtime
Having played with it a bit more over the weekend I’ve decided I need to take a step backward and start with less line out, I need to improve the initial pick up into the back cast... trajectory, loop size and generating speed at the ‘stop’... then work back up slowly extending the length of pick up....

I had one cast yesterday where the backcast was massively improved... I’ve only been PUALD with 18” backing off the reel... that one cast slapped the line onto the rings and pulled/bounced on the backing... it may have been 100’ if I had more backing out and a tape measure with me :whistle:
so I’ll drop back and shorten the pick up and only increase as and when I start slapping the rings and backing...
with that plan in place you can guarantee that we will have a month of high winds and rain :D
James9118

Post by James9118 »

The up-to-date leaderboard:

Bernt Johansson 147ft 11in
Zhongxiang Zhu 139ft 7in
Michal Duzynski 137ft 5in
Bart de Zwaan 134ft 5in
Me 128ft 0in
José Nieto 125ft 10in
Leif Christensen/ Lasse Karlsson 125ft 7in
Graeme Hird 120ft 0in
Nick Moore 113ft 8in
Tracy 107ft 0in
Richard Zijdeman 105ft 11in.
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Frankly, I'm shocked to be on that leader board. :O
FFi CCI
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

103’..... i now just need to stop cheating and start using the 5 MED rather than the 6w ballistic that I have been using :whistle:
:D
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Congrats Matt!
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

Lasse Karlsson wrote: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:41 pm Congrats Matt!
Thanks Lasse... but I’ll probably swap over the lines tomorrow... so using the 5w as per the challenge back below 100’, hopefully still over 90’ :whistle:
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I doubt I’ll be much over 100’ but we will see! Next time I’m in town I’m going to buy 150’ or white polyester rope and some markers I can place every 10’ over 100’. It can live on the roof of my boat with the accuracy rings. That will make it easier for competitions like this :D

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
James9118

Post by James9118 »

Bernt has just posted this - "if I win this challenge I throw in a weekend of fishing with me in the north of Sweden for the 2nd place winner. Including accommodation (camper van or tent depending on location) food cooked by yours truly and beer"

So even more reason to get out and try some PULDs. Did you try today Paul?

James
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

I don’t routinely measure distance, as approximate is good enough for me in most circumstances... and don’t spend that much time on distance on a regular basis.... so I was wondering-
What range in distance would people usually expect, are the majority of casts similar length, or would the longest casts be measurably different from the average.
I ask as the 103’ above is really an outlier... I would say most fall in the 95-98’ range (apart from the odd ones I ditch or just lose control of)... I knew the 103’ was going to be longer, as I could feel the tension on the backcast and the forward cast was more connected.
That’s either fairly normal or shows my technique is variable...
It’s definitely in part the latter, but I wonder whether there is an element of this in everyone’s longest casts?
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Matt

You might surprice yourself and throw as well with the MED 😊

Longest casts are just that, longest cast, the one where everything comes together that day. The rest is shorter, and the average usually a couple of meters shorter.
I did a test some years ago, measuring out different rod stiffness' effect on my distance casting, as Paul claimed that a stiffer rod would instantly gain me 2 meters longer casts 😉 I did 10 cast with 5 different rods, measuring all casts, taking away top and bottom to get an average of the 8 and that was a few meters shorter on average than the longest.
Another way to look at it, is to look at competition casts. Most records longest and second longest. Go to https://sites.google.com/view/virtual-f ... oSnZVmkWYA and see the differences between those two for some of the best casters in the world, it gives a good indication 🙂

5-8 feet difference is pretty ok!

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)

Return to “Casting Sport”