PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

WC 2021???

Dung Fly
Answers: 0

Re: WC 2021???

Post by Dung Fly »

With new variants being discovered and additional travel sanctions being out in place, it’s quite possible that many of the sporting events will be very different to those previously held.
I personally believe that world championships in ‘casting’ and its various formats will be a casualty again this year.
Once the world has sorted itself out, with regards to vaccines, travel, isolation etc. only then can any sporting body should consider holding a World Championship.

Even at a local level (country) there are still travel and gathering size restrictions that will probably still be in place for another 3/6/9 months.

Sorry if I appear to be a doom & gloom merchant, I’m just a realist.
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

I think you are correct Andy, the fact that a host nation may not be able to cover costs due to fewer casters attending will be a killer.
Was talking to someone yesterday in another sport who said there may be a worldwide network of hubs established for the Olympics.

John
Dung Fly

Post by Dung Fly »

Even travel within some countries is ‘essential travel only’ which sone are finding very restrictive.

Perhaps, if travel within a country is allowed and gatherings, maybe an old style postal event could be held with a number of events around the world with results being posted.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

New Zealand are talking about keeping their borders shut for the rest of the year. Two people have now died in my mum’s lane. One this week. It’s not exactly under control yet.

One of the houseboat operators on the lake caught it last week and the island resort where I park my boat had a major scare when one of his guests later tested positive. It turns out he caught it afterwards.

I suspect that this will be another non-guiding year! So I agree Andy, unless something major changes in the near future I doubt it will happen this year. On a positive note, I think it will happen again in the future! :)

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

I agree Andy, the old postal tournaments were great. We had a few with some US casters back in the 60s and 70s. Always looked forward to competing in them. No reason why we can't have the same today, online. Any excuse to get out and have a throw and a bit of fun. Australia starts its open tournament season in March. I think the first is a combined ICSF (skish fly) and Australian Fly Casting (Dry Fly and Wet Fly) accuracy event on water under lights. I'll post the Australian syllabus after acceptance at the Annual General Meeting in February. On other days we will throw the ICSF and Fly Casting distance events and the Trout Accuracy.

If any club, group of individuals or a single individual, anywhere, wants to arrange something with Australia, give me a yell. Happy to reciprocate with any dates.

Great suggestion Andy,

John
Dung Fly

Post by Dung Fly »

Hi John, here in the UK it’s essential travel only, it’s enforcement varies from county to county. I can travel to/from mobile radio sites for work but cannot travel for leisure purposes. Some of the sites are in large fields.
My back garden is only big enough for fly accuracy (just).
Fingers crossed that as the vaccination programme continues (7.449M completed to date in UK) that distant light of ‘normality’ is getting closer. Let’s see how things progress up to Easter.
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

I agree Andy, Easter, end of March will be a key date for the world. Australia and New Zealand had a "travel bubble" for the last few months but that has been suspended until two case of a more virulent strain has been investigated. This weekend interstate travel restrictions will relaxed for Australia but as was shown with breakouts in community transmission Sydney just before Christmas, things can change so quickly. I feel so sorry for those Australians who were overseas last March and have not been able to return to Australia. I think there are over 35,000 awaiting a return opportunity. However, our High Commissioner to the UK, an ex politician, was able to get a flight home for a family holiday for a few weeks at Christmas. The spin applied to that was he had a meeting with the Prime Minister and that his holiday did not take impact other Australians awaiting a flight home. Disgraceful, and absolute BS. Even I have heard of Zoom and the fact he was able to get a seat on a plane meant someone else could not. I've obviously been in the wrong game all my working life mate.

I hope these vaccines can be rolled out worldwide quickly to everyone and that this virus can be controlled.

Stay safe mate and best wishes to Vicki and yourself,

John
flyfisher666

Post by flyfisher666 »

WC 2021 in Sweden cancelled

After careful consideration the swedish casting federation have decided to cancel this years WC in flycasting.

The ongoing pandemic makes planning an event on this scale very difficult. Mainly because of uncertainty regarding restrictions in travelling and gathering.
To some extent uncertainty can be planned for - to higher cost though.
And at this point SCF have come to the conclusion that the cost for hosting and/or participating would be unreasonably high.

Joakim Karlsson, Tournament director
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Prudent and understandable decision Joakim, let's hope the world will be open and casting as soon as possible.

Looking forward to 2022 already,

John
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Thanks Joakim. Completely understandable mate. It’s impossible to plan anything at the moment.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Casting Sport”