PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Current Stroke

nicholasfmoore
Answers: 0

Current Stroke

Post by nicholasfmoore »

Hi all,

This is my current #5 competition stroke which went 120' 6", quite disappointing as i'm usually in the mid 120's now. I think it was down to the blustery wind limiting my max carry. Let me know your thoughts on improvements?

Thanks!

All the best
Nick M

"Memento Piscantur Saepe" :upside:
Michal Duzynski

Re: Current Stroke

Post by Michal Duzynski »

Hi Nick
2 things
- try to drift on a BC
- loose you grip while drifting back

Now it looks like this \\\\/ the rod is already in rotation fase, try to make it look like this
-----\/ ( maybe not exact drawing, but you might get the idea)

This is little clip for a differnt subject, and it is spoon casting, but have a look how the rod travels( pararel to the groud) begore rotating it.
Some do like this, and while I am casting I dont have exactly this rod position, as my rotation strats already though the stroke, but I dont want the rotation to be my stroke move, so by loosening the grip after bc and going forward you can achive flat rod position.
This is what I think....

Cheers
Mike
Dung Fly

Post by Dung Fly »

You could use your body more effectively to add additional omph, try stepping back and forward keeping one foot static.
Michal Duzynski

Post by Michal Duzynski »

Exactly, forgot to add- move your body more.
You did stepping already
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

It looks good to me Nick. I think your haul on the backcast should be straight and not curved. Imagine you are karate chopping someone’s neck, or something like that :) It should be explosive - bang!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

I agree with Paul about the need to be explosive with your hauls, but would add you also need to be explosive with your forearm rotation and finish that earlier. Might I also suggest you do not coincide your hand and body movement on your forward cast.

John
Dung Fly

Post by Dung Fly »

I agree with John, move your body forward at the start, keeping your hands static and then as your body movement finishes accelerate with the hands to finish the cast.
This works for both the elongated European style and the traditional ‘no drift’ style of casting.
The addition of using the body/stepping in the cast adds a 1-2m of movement that ensures the line is straight before the hands/arms come into play.
Stefano De Martini

Post by Stefano De Martini »

Michal Duzynski wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:58 am Hi Nick
2 things
- try to drift on a BC
- loose you grip while drifting back

Now it looks like this \\\\/ the rod is already in rotation fase, try to make it look like this
-----\/ ( maybe not exact drawing, but you might get the idea)

This is little clip for a differnt subject, and it is spoon casting, but have a look how the rod travels( pararel to the groud) begore rotating it.
Some do like this, and while I am casting I dont have exactly this rod position, as my rotation strats already though the stroke, but I dont want the rotation to be my stroke move, so by loosening the grip after bc and going forward you can achive flat rod position.
This is what I think....

Cheers
Mike
Nice tip Mic, i could not agree more...
In my opinion the Paul and John's suggestion is the other key that is very important. Try to be explosive. High line speed comes from high acceleration.
Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

Back when I was a gym rat and had access to conditioning coach, I asked for specific routines to improve my fly casting. The coach said he had no idea what I was talking about so I showed him a video of a champion distance caster. I forget who.

The coach's response was, "Wow... that is explosive!"

So... what exercises should I try?

He said, unfortunately, there are none... you either can or cannot. It depends on your muscle make up... fast twitch vs slow twitch fiber percentages that you are born with.

That is why some are sprinters while others run marathons.

But, that doesn't mean that practice will not get you to your most explosive stroke!
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

I think that’s at the extremes Gary. I’m sure that most of us would see benefits to our casting from a weights training programme. I mix up triathlon and flycasting sport. I don’t think they fit together well! My body changes particularly when I spend a lot of time on the bike.

It was funny, one year the casting WCs in Norway was one week after the IM in Hungary. I did the Ironman and all of my upper body strength and bulk disappeared over the next 7 days :p I now know that immediately after one of these events that I need to start weight training immediately!

But they’re both good fun.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Casting Sport”