PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Leaders for Trout Accuracy

whinging pom
Answers: 0

Re: Leaders for Trout Accuracy

Post by whinging pom »

Paul Arden wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:21 pm Just out of interest Chris, I use a similar grip. However I grip the rod between forefinger and thumb…

And then with a crooked thumb close the fingers
For accuracy I control the rod using the lower two fingers and not the upper hand.

I’m very interested to read what John does.

Cheers,
Paul

Ps I’ve been woodworking today and no wife around. That’s why my fingernails are dirty :pirate:
All
This control from the lower hand and fingers I’m finding so refreshing after years of having the image of your thumb squeezing a door catch ( Joan again! ) and flicking paint of a brush wrist snap (and again !!). It’s a shame you can’t just erase memories and start afresh! I’m hoping a hours mindful practice every other day is enough to retrain my joints and muscles ready for next season.
The grip was, when I decided to start on this path, the last thing I thought I’d be struggling with. But struggle it is, to find a grip that translates and controls the rod effective BUT remains comfortable.
As I’ve done a lot of stone work and impact damage over the years , I’m not sure if there’s a start of rheumatoid problems setting in.
If I’m practicing for some time,without keeping it in focus, I can find my hands wandered around the rod grip trying to find a comfort zone and reduce a dull pain deep in my palm ( that adds tension to the forearm).
Is this a common issue?
( sorry I’m way off topic here)
All best
Pom
Ps I virtually had a manicure before I dared photo my hands. Refreshing to see another scruffy grub-let out there!
The Duffer of the Brook !

Nothing is Impossible: :???: I do Nothing everyday .
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Pom,

Yes, for me too! Accuracy casting creates hand cramps after a while. I can only practise for 5 or 10 minutes at a time. What can help is a softer rod. Most of the US team and many others I know prefer softer rods. I think this is for a longer tip path but it also helps stop the cramps and allows you to throw for much longer.

Are you throwing at rings? I don’t have a defined snap on the delivery; i find if I do that I have inconsistencies when the loop straightens when sighting.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
whinging pom

Post by whinging pom »

Hi Paul
I’m practicing with an old Winston DL5 9 5 wt which is much like the action of the split cane I learnt on. When I’m good it’s lovely out to about 60’ . Then it seems to magnify anything going wrong at the idiot end of the system.
As well as slimming down the grip I’ve reversed the reel seat from up-locking to down . I think this has helped stability and taken some of the bounce/ recoil out of the stops I made the rod leg more stable.

Practice wise I keep meaning to get hoops. The field I practice in is riddled with mole hills I get in amongst them and systematically work through All between 5 and about 15 yards regardless of wind . Occasionally I put some reels cases on the tops and focus in a bit.

I’m picking up the cane blanks for a new brook rod soon and am working on the handle design to keep me anchored in one spot and consistent
Sorry you suffer those cramps too but encouraging to know I’m not the only one !
Thanks
Pom

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I think everyone suffers them, Pom, but I might be wrong! I don’t know if the thinner cork helps or not. You could try wrapping it with tape to see. There is also the Maniform grip. I’ve used these, but I don’t have one here to compare.

I think the cramps come because we grip the rod quite tightly through the stroke. I certainly never get them when distance casting and I can do that for hours on end. Maybe there is a solution. If anyone knows, it will be John :)

I like rings because they are – bizarrely enough –harder to hit. It’s all in the mind of course and what we focus on. The other option is “splash pans”, which you can buy from a gardening centre. Basically large plant pot bases. Partially fill them with water and you get a satisfying splop (?) when the fly lands (also it’s easier to see if it has actually has gone in!).

I haven’t had a chance to shoot the Wiggle Cast correction movie yet but I will :cool: I was going to film it last week and then the river turned to chocolate. I thought that might be a bit distracting!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
whinging pom

Post by whinging pom »

This is the handle I’m working on. Instead of gaps in the corks I’ve left proud ridges of gasket nitrile bonded cork spaced for where my digits and the heal of the hand settle. Ive filled out the shape of the cigar so there’s no gap below my fingers underneath, and hopefully the tactile feel will stop my hand from wandering. It’s going on a short, light wieght cane rod for targeting trout in a small stream…it’s probably been done before or evidence of an Aneurysm! We’ll see when it’s built and brook tested!
465F0C70-E795-4E0A-AF6A-BD6B0424D5F6.jpeg
You will note I also have dirty grubby hands from woodworking . Shameless!!
All best
Pom

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I like that. It reminds me a little of the wire ribs under tape that Phil suggested and I’ve been using. The ribs are vertical however. I’ll be interested to know how you get on with this :)

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo »

I don't know if there are any videos, but Mac Brown makes a very strong case about not "pointing" at the target with the thumb on top of the cork. Instead, he suggests laying the index finger along the side of the cork and "pointing" at the target that way... the way even an infant does naturally.

This also gets the thumb off the top of the cork and makes the grip more along the lines of the Borger's Three Point Grip... or whatever it is called.

I know that since changing to this less thumb dominant grip I experience a lot less pain at the base of my thumb at the palm.
With appreciation and apologies to Ray Charles…

“If it wasn’t for AI, we wouldn’t have no I at all.”

Return to “Casting Sport”