PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Leaders for Trout Accuracy

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Leaders for Trout Accuracy

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi chaps,

I know this has been discussed but I’m still using leaders that I piece together randomly and get the expected random results.

Can anyone recommend a really good leader for this game that I can use as a starting point.

I doubt I’ll be able to get the material this week, since we are in a never-ending lockdown, but maybe I can order online.

Many thanks!!
Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Dung Fly
Answers: 0

Re: Leaders for Trout Accuracg

Post by Dung Fly »

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Re: Leaders for Trout Accuracy

Post by Paul Arden »

Thanks Andy. The closest game to WC trout accuracy in the ACA they call dry fly accuracy? Which means the leader is for a 7WT line? So I assume to scale down but keep the proportions.

I posted a similar topic a few years back and was given some very interesting formulae by Gordy. I had got to the point where I almost ordered some Maxima for a team of six!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Hi Paul,

For some reason leaders for Trout Accuracy are a bit secret. For what it is worth this is the one I am currently using.

112cms of 0.60mm
54cms of 0.45mm
31cms of 0.35mm
18cms of 0.25mm
45cms of 0.20mm

I also agree with Andy about the Rajeff/Napoli leaders, good suggestion. I would experiment because you want a leader that straightens on turnover with a minimum of humps and troughs. That sine wave profile is a destroys accurate length judgment and is a function of both the diameter of each segment and the segment's length, but I also believe it is a function of the power the caster generates on the delivery cast. You don't want to follow the view that you only apply enough power to the cast for the loop to just turnover. That is a flawed approach. Rather, I suggest you adjust your leader recipe to your natural casting tempo and power. I cannot see the point in compromising what is the essence of your individual casting cadence, adjust what you use, not what you are.

That may not be a commonly held view but in my opinion, one size does not fit all when it comes to precision casting leaders.

John
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Thank you John! I shall use this as a starting point. :)

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi John

Is there a particular reason for you to go all the way down to 0,20mm tippet?

I ask because I go as close to max allowed (0,30mm) as possible, thinner and some of the flies handed out at competition kicks, and then I have to adjust something. Also I would be afraid of whipping the fly off on a misstimed cast.

Btw. My leader is made up of three, 25lbs red amnesia for the butt, a 20 lbs pink flat mono sold as a shooting line, and then a solar green berkley trolling line that measures in just below 0,30. Paul think its cheating so there's that...

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Hi Lasse,

Good point about flies. In Australia each caster is able to use flies they tie themselves. The rules stipulate a size 10 standard dry fly hook, but the fly can be tied fully palmered or as a conventional dry fly profile. Most casters here use a 0.25mm, or thicker, tippet but I prefer a thinner tippet because it "hangs" a bit better for me. That "hang time" is important because it increases the time available for me to sight the fly against the hoop. Conditions impact that but overall, it works better for me. The disadvantage of thin tippets is seen on the delivery cast but I'll take that trade-off.

You are right about break-offs, but I find the advantages outweigh that disadvantage. I always have a spare tippet with fly attached ready to go should I lose a fly but thinking about your post, I honestly can't remember the last time I lost a fly in an accuracy event. So important to experiment with leaders and see what works, including the relative stiffness of different brands for different sections.

John
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi John, when you say you have a spare leader do you use loop-to-loop of a nail/needle knot?

Thanks,
Paul

Flycasting Definitions
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

Hi Paul,

I use two options, if the tippet has no knots and is original length then I just tie a fly on. If the tippet has been shortened, or has knots, then I cut the tippet off and tie on another (with fly already attached) using a blood knot. A loop to loop connection may be a tad faster but I don't want the turnover impacted by that type of connection. The short section above the tippet makes a loop undesirable for me. I keep my spare tippets and flies on a piece of cardboard with a slit for each spare tippet, fly on top, monofilament hanging free below. Easy and quick to access.

John
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi John, sorry misread this morning - spare tippet not spare leader. Yes that makes sense!

Thanks,
Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Casting Sport”