PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Danish Games

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Danish Games

Post by Paul Arden »

Thanks!! That was when you took your MCI exam after Rich and you got thrown out a bar. Great times!! :cool:
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson
Answers: 0

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

That was before I took my MCI, at the evening of passing my CI 😉 and it was you and Rich that got thrown out, I had left to sleep in the car, then you both showed up to take me to Rich's hotelroom as I should have a good nights sleep before my MCI... then you and Rich argued for over an hour about you wanting to sleep in your car and not the hotelroom, you might have argued longer, thats when I went to sleep in the car. Woke up with your sock cladden foot under my nose, went out to warm up and passed my MCI..

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

All part of the training, Lasse. :)

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

And what a training it was :whistle: :p ;)

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

It’s better to regret something you did than something you didn’t do!! :D Excellent times. Still are. I’ve noticed people who don’t live life grow old quicker than those who do. Rich was good company too!!

Flycasting Definitions
Torsten

Post by Torsten »

Hi Lasse,

if I had to choose, I'd pick these rules - they look much closer to fly fishing than anything else I've read so far. Unfortunately, new stuff is difficult to establish (especially here, the officials are too conservative). If that's not overlapping with other dates, I'll consider this for one of the next years.

What kind of gear would you recommend, if I'd try it myself, is there also a running line restriction?

Thanks,
Torsten
Sure, I had a big hand in writing them so yes :D

The single handed event has three parts to it, 5 weight distance, a 18 gram intermediate 10,5 meter shootinghead distance and a 7 station accuracy event using the same 5 weight line as in the distance event.

Distance is pretty straight forward, two longest casts in a 3 minute casting slot is measured and the average is found. This for both the 5 weight and the 18 gram. These score are the counted together as points. Accuracy has 7 stations with a dual target on each. Diameter of the large ring is 1 meter and the center ring is 50 cm. One practice cast is allowed at each station, and then 3 scoring casts. Center ring gives 2 points outer ring 1 point. Total points pr station is 6 for a maximum of 42 points possible.
Station 1 target is at 6 meter
Station 2 target is at 12 meters
Station 3 target is a 18 meters
Station 4 target is direcrly behind a wall with a width of 1 meter, requiring a curve cast to hit it. Leader and line cannot go over the wall.
Station 5 target has two lines as a corridor with a width of 50 cm running from casters stand to target. Caster has to land the flyline in the corridor without touching the lines, and hit the target with the fly to score points.
Station 6 same as station 5, but now the caster has to touch both lines for a scoring cast.
Station 7 target is placed 1 meter behind a rope suspended 1 meter above ground. Scoring casts have to go under the rope.

Station 4 to 7 has a distance between 8 and 12 meters, the distance on the day is drawn when the course is set up.

The Danish champion is then found by adding the distance points together with the accuracy points.

It is set up, so anyone really good in fishing precision casts, which we all know is the most important thing :whistle: , has a high chance of winning. As an example, I placed last in distance in 2008 after contracting a nasty flu from Rich Knoles in Scotland the day before the shampionships, I then got 2 in accuracy for a final 4th place.

The twohanded event is two distance parts, a full line on a 15 foot max rod and a shootinghead on a 13 foot max rod. Two longest in each added together and average found.
I wanted to have it as a spey event, but FFFD and DSF thought it would be impossible to find water to cast on, so it ended up as a overhead event on grass. Caster has 4 minutes with each line.

Lines are provided by the organisere, so all the caster has to bring is rods. Single handed events is restricted to 9 feet plus 1 inch for fight butts. Twohanded is 15 foot and 13 foot.

The championships is a bit time heavy with many participants. But alot of fun, and exiting.
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Hi Torsten

Poul Jorgensens danish casting games is the closest I have seen, and I did nick the 4 most fishing like posts for the Danish championships :blush:

If you are to try out the Danish Championship rules, at the moment its the rio gold tournament line we use for 5 weight distance and the accuracy part. It will most likely revert back to the MED the rules where written with, as the rio is discontinued. For the shootinghead, we use a rio coastal 18 gram intermediate at 10,5 meters, that version is also discontinued, so I have a hunch a change will be made there too. As for the shootingline, it's a 25 lbs rio slickshooter at the moment, I would use similar. We used to use amnesia 25 lbs. Worst line ever 🤣 but Walter has nicked my joke that it forgot to be straight....

Cheers
Lasse

Return to “Casting Sport”