PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Accuracy leader question

Stevie D
Answers: 0

Accuracy leader question

Post by Stevie D »

Looking at the leader requirements for the accuracy comp on the BFCC website it states that the tapered section must be 5feet minimum with 2feet (min)of 6lb tippet. Can any brand of mono be used? I was thinking that some monos are understated in diams/breaking strains(Maxima mono for instance),or is it just enough that it says 6lb on the spool?
Steve.
crunch

Accuracy leader question

Post by crunch »

I hope Fluorocarbon mono is forbidden? Is there difference between federations? Fluorocarbon density is almost double of Nylon which would have an advantage!

Esa
Stevie D

Accuracy leader question

Post by Stevie D »

This is what Iwould like to know.I used Maxima as an example as in tests the 6lb maxi breaks at around 9lb and if you use a micrometer you will discover that its thicker than the stated diameter as well!, but it says 6lb on the spool so theoretically it's okay!.
Steve.
James9118

Accuracy leader question

Post by James9118 »

Steve,

On the BFCC site the rule regarding the tippet strength is very loosely written: "Tippet 6lb BS nylon or similar 2ft min", for example I use 15lb because I've got a jumbo spool of it that I don't use for anything else other than casting. Unless the word 'similar' is removed then it's totally down to the individuals interpretation. I also think the total leader length is the important part to make sure there's a level playing field.

James
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Accuracy leader question

Post by Paul Arden »

BFCC is friendly competition and everyone shares gear, so I don't think it's a problem. But that said, tightening these things down would be a good idea. The problem is that the BFCC is not particularly competitive, which it needs to be if it's going to produce world championship winners.

Mike M. is worried that competition can bring out the bad sportsman in people, which is true, but it depends on those involved. One thing I believe about the British, is that we are both good winners and losers, ie genuine sportsmen. Removing the competition element doesn't make us better sportsmen, it just makes us less able to perform, ie makes us less competitive Internationally. .

And for me that's not good when we are competing against others, particularly those who are bad sportsmen. Especially if the cnuts beat us! We can be gracious in defeat and victory, but bad sportsmen always deserve to lose.

That's my view on the matter anyway :p

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
easterncaster

Accuracy leader question

Post by easterncaster »

... related, the ACA (American Casting Association) has leader regs. for it's events. The diameter, not test strength, is the regulated spec.. Some games have only a length parameter, others such as my example below (Trout Fly Accuracy) have a minimum/maximum total leader length, as well as a tippet dia. + length.

The club sponsoring the event (at least in the few I have participated in) typically has an official, attended, gear check table replete with official Micrometer and Measures. They make it super easy to be a good sportsman. A couple of the clubs had a really nifty full sized, table sized chart that Gordy (Gordon Judd) devised - rod lengths, leader length, tippet length all clearly graphically laid out. Maybe Gordy could post a photo ... ?

D) Leader - Shall consist of a single leader of natural or artificial gut or gut substitute not less than nine
(9) feet in length with a tippet at least eighteen (18) inches long that does not exceed .008 inches in
diameter.

Craig
James9118

Accuracy leader question

Post by James9118 »

The more I think about these sort of things the more I come round to the Sexyloops way of running things, i.e. everyone casting the exact same gear, this gives a much 'purer' competition in my mind.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Accuracy leader question

Post by Paul Arden »

It's much better. Unfortunately it just don't see how we can adapt it to the WCs. But in terms of the fairness of the actual competition, and the fun element, and the fact that we can end up casting cane rods, fibreglass rods, 3 weights, 12 weights, 10 weight lines on three weight rods and vice-versa, Lee's DHD shooting heads, and we have less than two minutes to work out how to throw the bloody thing, that to me is what it's all about. We could put a broomstick in the line up and we would take it seriously! It's nice to have the Formula 1 stuff too, but we all have to throw the same gear IMO.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Ben_d

Accuracy leader question

Post by Ben_d »

Don't agree Paul although I do like the Sexyloops shoot outs, there aren't world or national titles at stake. limiting every caster to the same kit like saying every trout fisherman will fish at their optimum with any old kit just because the next guy does. I think part of the skill in comp casting is tuning things to suit yourself and preferred or optimum stroke within a set of rules. Just because the HT and 125 suits you it does not mean that I will throw it to the best of my ability. I throw my Sea trout outfit further than most other people throw the same kit, I can't throw theirs as far, we have different strokes, different physiques so why should one be effectively disadvantaged in a serious competition?

I think the WC rules are about right although I would really like to see a practical way of widening the line choice to a 125, Gold Tournament, MED or any other similar line could be used. Just don't really see how it could be achieved without making things very difficult scrutineers.

Cheers

Ben
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Accuracy leader question

Post by Paul Arden »

I don't believe in all this optimisation to body performance. Can you give some examples? There are certainly outfits that guys throw miles further than me, T120 for example, but I always figured that's because I never practise it, not because it's optimised to my body type!

Cheers Paul

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “Casting Sport”