PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Fresh water versus salt water

Moderator: Paul Arden

Glenda
Answers: 0

Post by Glenda »

Me again Jason (sorry for any dumb questions).

Curious....do you fish for all species or just trout/other freshwater?

I moved to Queensland only two years ago and up until then fished for trout only.

But finding it most difficult to catch salt water species of any kind! Very frustrating! The expanse of water leaves me scratching my head on where to find the fish and how to target them ie type of rig including fly.

What do you do if that's not too stupid a question please? I know I'm not the only trout Ffisher who is having trouble moving to salt water....... Thanks.
"my biggest worry is that when I am dead and gone my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it". ......Koos Brandt
Jason Borger
Answers: 0

Post by Jason Borger »

Glenda wrote:Me again Jason (sorry for any dumb questions).

Curious....do you fish for all species or just trout/other freshwater?

I moved to Queensland only two years ago and up until then fished for trout only.

But finding it most difficult to catch salt water species of any kind! Very frustrating! The expanse of water leaves me scratching my head on where to find the fish and how to target them ie type of rig including fly.

What do you do if that's not too stupid a question please? I know I'm not the only trout Ffisher who is having trouble moving to salt water....... Thanks.
I'll fish for whatever I can catch!

When it comes to ANY big water, I typically tell people to break it down into small, mentally manageable chunks. Don't look at it and think: giant ocean! Look at it and think: slivers and slices of water, both horizontal and vertical. So...have you tried for the shore-line species (fish that can be dealt with while walk/wading on lighter gear, and a sinking line)? I'm talking about fish that live around shore-based structure and/or are coming into creeks where you have casting-range access. Fish follow food, so find the food, find the fish. I'm thinking, though, that there must be local resources somewhere nearby for figuring out your particular situation (including what's going on in your area with tides). When I fish anywhere new—with tides in particular—I either read ahead or ask in person, that simple. I've been places where the tides did some funny stuff, and hyper-local knowledge saved the day. There must be a few Aussie SL members who can perhaps help Glenda with localization? Anyone?
I grew up surrounded by fish, flies, and water.

Return to “A week with...”