PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Favorite rod and line-combinations

Moderator: Paul Arden

Thomas
Answers: 0

Post by Thomas »

Hi Jason!

Its great to have you here answering questions. I am a big fan of your work and I am really looking forward to more books in the series of flyfishing that you are producing with your dad as well as your coming book on flycasting. Now, I would like to know your favorite rod and line combinations. It is such a joy using a rod and line combination that just seems as they were made for each other and it is always interesting to hear about the preferences of others. :)

/Thomas
Jason Borger

Post by Jason Borger »

Thomas wrote:Hi Jason!

Its great to have you here answering questions. I am a big fan of your work and I am really looking forward to more books in the series of flyfishing that you are producing with your dad as well as your coming book on flycasting. Now, I would like to know your favorite rod and line combinations. It is such a joy using a rod and line combination that just seems as they were made for each other and it is always interesting to hear about the preferences of others. :)

/Thomas
My favorite for a long time was a prototype floating taper I designed (a continuous rear taper line) on a Sage TXR 590-4. Sadly, neither the line nor the rod are in my possession any longer. I did also like a Snowbee XS (the old one that was prone to disintegration, but was awesome while it lasted) on a Sage XP. Don't have either of those anymore either. Also had a T&T Horizon 8wt with one of my father's old saltwater line designs on it. Cast like a bullet. And...as you might have guessed, don't have that combo anymore, either. Recently I was messing around with a Burkheimer DAL 590-4 and had a Cortland Sylk on it. Liked that combo and it even still exists. :D

To be truthful, I like a lot of stuff on a lot of stuff! :p
I grew up surrounded by fish, flies, and water.
easterncaster

Post by easterncaster »

Hi Jason,

How does the Burkheimer DAL 590-4 compare to the SC-20 rod, the proto-type one that I have ? :whistle:

Thanks,
Craig
easterncaster

Post by easterncaster »

easterncaster wrote:Hi Jason,

How does the Burkheimer DAL 590-4 compare to the SC-20 rod, the proto-type one that I have ? :whistle:

Thanks,
Craig
Re combinations: The 'working model' SC slings a Sixth Sense 5/6 full sinking line with aplomb
Jason Borger

Post by Jason Borger »

easterncaster wrote:Hi Jason,

Thanks,
Craig
You'd find the DAL to be a brother from the same mother.
Jason Borger

Post by Jason Borger »

easterncaster wrote:
Re combinations: The 'working model' SC slings a Sixth Sense 5/6 full sinking line with aplomb
Good to hear you like that sinker on there. The SC20 is a good "slinging" rod, I think. Tough, old-school Montana river rod (which was the entire point). In white it makes for a good rod for book pics, too. Lots of deep flex lets even many of the close-up shots have better visual reference to rod dynamics, which I think is useful (even subliminally) in an instructional text.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Thanks Jason! :)

/Thomas
Jason Borger

Post by Jason Borger »

Thomas wrote:Thanks Jason! :)

/Thomas
My pleasure, Thomas. Take my advice: When you find the perfect combo(s), don't sell/break/lose/give away/wear out/have stolen/or otherwise misplace it/them... :D I speak from sad experience! :O

Return to “A week with...”