PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Rick Hartman - Welcome!!

Moderator: Paul Arden

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Rick Hartman - Welcome!!

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Rick,

it's been a hell of a long time since we've fished together! Thanks for agreeing to join us for the week.

I'm sure that you're going to get lots of questions here, I can start off with two:

You guide for Redfish in Texas, but used to do a lot of trout fishing in Colorado? What is your guiding/fly fishing history?

And, not to blow smoke up your arse, you are the smoothest distance caster I've seen to date. I remember the difference between when we first met in Montana (not very graceful if I'm to be perfectly honest; watching you cast in Idaho Falls I thought to myself "fuck I'm not going to bother learning that - he looks like an elephant trying to cast" and then again Texas where I had never (and still haven't) seen such amazing loops and I thought "dammit now I have to try to learn to cast like this". What were the big breakthroughs in your casting learning curve?

Thanks man,
Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Rick Hartman - Welcome!!

Post by Paul Arden »

For those of you who need to put the face to the name, this is Rick.
Attachments
rickh2.jpg

Flycasting Definitions
Jason Borger
Answers: 0

Rick Hartman - Welcome!!

Post by Jason Borger »

Paul Arden wrote:For those of you who need to put the face to the name, this is Rick.
I'll only say "Blue Steel" for those who get it. :pirate: And then I'll step out of the way...

(And welcome, Rick).
I grew up surrounded by fish, flies, and water.
Lasse Karlsson

Rick Hartman - Welcome!!

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Jason Borger wrote:
Paul Arden wrote:For those of you who need to put the face to the name, this is Rick.
I'll only say "Blue Steel" for those who get it. :pirate: And then I'll step out of the way...

(And welcome, Rick).

:D

And welcome Rick :)

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Glenda

Rick Hartman - Welcome!!

Post by Glenda »

And welcome Rick.....
"my biggest worry is that when I am dead and gone my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it". ......Koos Brandt
Viking Lars

Rick Hartman - Welcome!!

Post by Viking Lars »

Hey Rick!

Here's the first question: Please outline the reservations you had accepting this offer :-).

Lars
resdog

Rick Hartman - Welcome!!

Post by resdog »

Hi Rick , Texas is looking pretty good from where I am right now! It's in the teens here and this looks a lot better:
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=ri ... FORM=VIRE5
alp

Rick Hartman - Welcome!!

Post by alp »

Hi Paul, this person on your picture is drinking painted water after sunset ... :???:
Sorry mr. Hartman, thought you were someone else from Texas ...
Kind regards, Schneider Weisse Club, Europe
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Rick Hartman - Welcome!!

Post by Paul Arden »

Last time I fished with Rick down in Texas he had given up the beer in preference to Single Malt. That's probably what's in the bottle Sasha :cool:

Flycasting Definitions
Rick Hartman

Rick Hartman - Welcome!!

Post by Rick Hartman »

Thanks for the warm welcome. Hilarious Jason, you hit the nail on the head. For those asking, Vodka hidden in a sprite bottle works very well for trick or treating with the kids ,plus it matches the wig. I still enjoy a good scotch while at the house. By the way, Thank you Paul for not using the professional photo of me on the boat. I will do my best to give some sort of answer to the questions posted, bare with me if it takes me a while to get it done. Most of my fishing history has been here in South Texas, while only 25 percent or so has been spent up North between New Mexico and Montana. My casting has changed and evolved for better and worse about a dozen times. There wasn't anyone in South Texas interested in pushing the boundaries of throwing plain weight forward floating lines, or anything fly tackle related for that matter, in South Texas. This made things more difficult, thus there was a bunch of trial and error. Which is why Paul Saw such a change through the years that we got to hang out and drink scotch, while wild Bill G drank Dr. pepper.

Return to “A week with...”