PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Welcome Bill Gammel!!

Moderator: Paul Arden

Bill Gammel
Answers: 0

Welcome Bill Gammel!!

Post by Bill Gammel »

yes that is what i remember. Especially the picture of Rick.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Welcome Bill Gammel!!

Post by Paul Arden »

Great times! I look forward to getting back and fishing together again. It's been ten years!

Last question from me, is there anything you would change about your five essentials now?

Thanks, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Bill Gammel

Welcome Bill Gammel!!

Post by Bill Gammel »

Paul, I don't think I would change the essentials other than the analysis and order changes that were made in the video. There are many ways I would rewrite that little book. Not necessarily the essentials but the description sections I would rewrite some what. Someone asked me why my Dad and I gave the rights to that book to the FFF and didn't try to retain profit rights from them. We felt like the material was everyones. The information was out there, other people were teaching parts or possible all of the essentials. We never saw them written or taught together before we wrote them, but they were not unique teaching statements. Dad and I put them together with the idea we were helping someone, who didn't know how, learn to cast a basic over head cast. Since that time people have applied them in ways we were not intending when we wrote the booklet. The essentials have been studied and talked about and poked at quite a bit. There 191,000 google hits on the Essentials of fly casting. To my knowledge they have stood the test and 26 years later they are still very relevant to fly casting. No thought that I would add at this point would be as well vetted as the thoughts already in publication between the booklet and video. I need to go reread the article I wrote on Making Adjustments on the Fly. Apparently, it is worth rereading because I have heard it quoted as much lately as the essentials.

Paul please post a link to any discussion of how the wedge shaped loop forms and why it is superior to the perfect U. I would guess it has something to do with casting to the end of your arm and not decelerating to a stop with a bent elbow. The wedge seems to have aerodynamic properties that remain through out the cast when there is less line on top. The U will finally roll over and collapse just past 100 feet. I have been gone from the board to long and know that y'all have discussed this and that it has been talked to death. Please send me to the results of those discussions. I think that is the next thing that could improve 100s of people casting.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Welcome Bill Gammel!!

Post by Paul Arden »

Many thanks Bill, I'm just heading down the lake for a night. Will be back tomorrow and will post a couple of links.

Thanks again!!
Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Lasse Karlsson

Welcome Bill Gammel!!

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Bill Gammel wrote:Hi Lasse, How many years has it been? Sorry I am not better at keeping in touch.

Hi Bill

No worries, I'm not any better myself, and sorry for that!

Thanks for the history, glad I still remember it correctly :)

These two take up the majority of my time now:
IMG_20160216_202649.JPG
And thanks for spending some of your time here, hope I'll get back to the US sometime again!

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Walter

Welcome Bill Gammel!!

Post by Walter »

The pink waders are awesome!
"There can be only one." - The Highlander. :pirate:

PS. I have a flying tank. Your argument is irrelevant.

PSS. How to generate a climbing loop through control of the casting stroke is left as a (considerable) exercise to the reader.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Welcome Bill Gammel!!

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Bill, I'll try to find some links tonight on my Mac, unless someone else posts one - loop morph is fully understood but I think it's mostly driven by speed (and overhang).

Cheers Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Welcome Bill Gammel!!

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Bill, still on my phone, loop morph is thought to be a result of aerodynamics - the two main driving forces being line speed and overhang. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that distinct wedged shape loops are a result of the haul finishing before the rod tip has significantly deviated below the SLP. Mind you one can also take the PoV that a haul with significant acceleration will prevent this.

There are actually lots of discussions on this as well as technical analyses threads and experiments by Gordy. Gordy has a video of a loop of line spinning vertically from a bicycle wheel driven by an electric drill to show the loop morphing towards a biased point.

Cheers Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Bill Gammel

Welcome Bill Gammel!!

Post by Bill Gammel »

Thanks Paul

Thanks for the week of questions it was great to hear from all of you. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.

Bill

Return to “A week with...”