PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Welcome Haysie (Peter Hayes, Tasmania!)

Moderator: Paul Arden

Haysie
Answers: 0

Post by Haysie »

Tom Benson wrote::p Hi Peter, & welcome ... Going to ask you some casting questions , but , need time to overtime my
gob spacking admiration ... Tom
Serious questions too follow!
Tom
Wake up Tommy. I've got two arms and two legs like most others. I can assure you there is absolutely nothing special about me. I can't even keep a wife or a girlfriend!

I simply love, and am passionate about, fly fishing, casting and teaching others. You can be like that too if you want to be.
Haysie

Post by Haysie »

Paul Arden wrote:Ok I'll start off! Why are double handed rods becoming popular in Aussie, is it because of the casting or are there practical fishing applications? The Switch stuff I've never fully understood - maybe that's because long single handed rods have a long history in the UK and there for never the need to involved the other hand for anything else apart from hauling! Of course there are applications, particularly for the very young, old or weak. But otherwise I've always thought them to be of rather niche practical application but "trendy".

Or is the DH stuff for teaching guys ready to go salmon fishing in Russia or Norway for example?

Cheers, Paul
Paul, I think it is a little bit of everything driving it - and there is nothing wrong with any of it.

For me personally it was initially about mastering and better understanding the cast. It can believe it or not help you cast better with one hand. Then I found I love fishing the system in our Estuaries, then I found I love the Steelhead fishing. There are efficiencies of course and I think a switch rod becomes a no brainer for my 89 year old friend Michael Youl....

I gave a talk to 24 members of a Canberra fly fishing club last year. I asked for a show of hands if anyone owned a 2 hand rod. 8 people responded and I was gob smacked. I then asked for a show of hands if they owned the rod more than a year ago. Only one hand.
Haysie

Post by Haysie »

Twisties wrote:Hi Peter,

I understand you have done a lot of different types of fly fishing chasing all sorts of species all around the world. Can you describe to us your all time favorite fly fishing experience and why this is so?

Thanks for joining us,
Tristan.
'It depends' is something I find myself saying before I answer many questions these days. It's funny how we all mature. As A young guy I wouldn't hesitate to give a rock solid opinion - not these days. I'm 54 !

Hmmm... How about this.

I think the next fish I try to catch that I have never ever seen before, and in a place I have never, ever been before, will become my favorite fish. I like to work stuff out.... my way. I don't like to copy.

Fish are fish and we can learn much from all of them if we are trying.
Haysie

Post by Haysie »

Graeme H wrote:G'day Haysie,

Welcome to the forum and I look forward to lurking on the questions you'll get asked. You're truly a cheeky bast4rd, even more Aussie than Hoges ... :) I'm glad you're out there on the world stage giving shit to the guys who take themselves too seriously.

Cheers,
Graeme

PS - we did the "what's the best advancement in tackle" question late last year. Your stripper clip didn't make the cut, mate. ;)

Greame, I'm not a computer guy... I hate the thing. That thread 9 if that is the right speak) is so messy. Can you give me a list of the outcome please. I would truly be interested. I can see that it is so personal though. For my most often type of fishing I prefer a silk line, non fluro leader and cane rod. Graphite, PVC and Fluro would be a backward step in my opinion.
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Haysie wrote:Can you give me a list of the outcome please. I would truly be interested.
A quick summary is that my personal preference won the argument. I can't remember what I wrote, but I'm sure I won the internet for my troubles.

At least, that's how I remember it. I could be wrong, of course. ;)

Honestly though, most threads like that never come up with anything definitive because all of us do things our own way. There's no point summarising it because you won't agree with the outcomes. None of us do. :) Your preferences for silk, nylon and cane are as valid as my vote for modern hooks as the best advance in fly fishing.

And having seen enough of your personality on videos, I doubt anything we say could change your mind in any case! :pirate:

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
John Waters

Post by John Waters »

G'Day Peter, have to get together for a cast and a chat. Been a long time.

John
Glenda

Post by Glenda »

Hi Peter, Glenda here. I have been fly fishing for many years now and after a fly casting day with Peter Morse, I learned I am very weak with my double haul on the front....... I have tried to rectify but to no avail. Fine on the double haul at back, in fact very strong.

I also have problem with remaining still when practice casting.....I am trying to get out at much line as possible but this would be no good on a boat.

Any pointers you could proffer would be grateful.
"my biggest worry is that when I am dead and gone my wife will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it". ......Koos Brandt
Tom Benson

Post by Tom Benson »

Hi Pete, thanks for the encouragement . I have recently returned to fly fishing after a 5 year sabbatical away :
doing volunteer Conservation & Wildlife surveys. Can't pass comment ..
I have decided to change casting hand ( Arthritis in fingers )..Have you any experience of others changing over ?
I have always changed over casting hand; especially in difficult wind conditions.. my difficulty, is hauling with my right
hand: and just as important ,roll casting off my left (( I.m right handed )).
Tom
Haysie

Post by Haysie »

John Waters wrote:G'Day Peter, have to get together for a cast and a chat. Been a long time.

John
G'day John,

I agree John. Life is too short - as you know.

I'd love to talk you into completing your IFFF CI and MCI journey and would love to help. Maybe you can get down to the lodge at Cressy for the week of CI & MCI continuing Education. August 15 - 19. Details are on my website.

You have much to contribute.
Haysie

Post by Haysie »

And having seen enough of your personality on videos, I doubt anything we say could change your mind in any case! :pirate:

Cheers,
Graeme

Graeme, I assure you that I change my views very often. In fact I always change my views if someone can show me a better way. I may be a luddite but not when it comes to fly fishing.

Return to “A week with...”