PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Welcome Haysie (Peter Hayes, Tasmania!)

Moderator: Paul Arden

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Haysie,

welcome to the Board, thanks for agreeing to giving us a week of your time. How've you been? :)

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Haysie
Answers: 0

Post by Haysie »

Thanks Paul.... we finally made it :)

To answer your question: I'm sensational thank you. You know that. I'm always sensational. IS there any other way to be?

It was another busy trout season - my 22nd as a guide. The Cormorants over the past few years have belted the trout populations about but the up side is that the remaining fish are larger and more difficult to catch. That's not a bad thing.

On that subject a year or so back I wrote an article for 'Flystream' online magazine about 'Evolution'. The premise was that as anglers we should not moan about the Shags eating up all the fish. They have done us fly fishers a favour. They have eaten out the smaller, not so smart trout from the easy, more open water lies. This leaves the larger, smarter fish in very difficult lies.

The lazy, not so smart fly fishers that don't want to improve their casting, learn to use longer and finer leaders, stalk more stealthily, mend more carefully etc get pissed off with lack of success. They gave up fly fishing got weeded out with the dumb fish.

Those true fishers of us that remain in the game have had to step up. It's called 'Evolution'.

Back to the subject. After another busy guiding season I've been teaching casting flat out both on the Mainland and here in Tasmania.

As soon as the season finished I had a couple of weeks in Oregon and Washington State where I attended the 16th annual 'Sandy River Spey Clave'. Whilst I was there primarily to learn more about Spey casting and more importantly, how to teach Spey Casting, I was also there to help promote the [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8 ... ipper Clip[/url].

Be sure to check out the video that was filmed without me knowing at one of the Australian Fly Fishing Conclaves.

I don't know if you've seen this device for line management but I truly believe it is the most remarkable innovation that I have seen in the 41 years of my involvement in this sport. (I would be interested to find others views on what they think have been the real innovations in fly fishing). The Stripper Clip is for anyone that has to handle a fly line. It is not only for Spey casters. We have sold many Clips to every country in the world that you can think of - it is remarkable how well it has been received !

After the event I spent a week staying with Simon Gawesworth. Another house guest with me at the time was the BC steelhead guide Adrienne Comeau. She is a sensation and I would not hesitate recommending her for a steelhead guiding deal.

We dined at Tim Rajeff's and Katherine's place one night. Steve and his wife were also there. After the main meal we cast for a couple of hours on Tim's pond and you will be please to know that I didn't disgrace myself. I beat the Rajeff's in the #5 distance - hit the end then pull a meter and pass it on comp. It was a silent retrieve reel and I asked Adrienne to shield me while I wound up a couple of meters :). Funny.... Timmy was onto me... he is astute. He said hey.... you shouldn't have hit the end that hard.... something has happened.

The next day Steve called and asked Adrienne and I for dinner. We had a wonderful evening at his terrific house and casting on his dock. At one stage I asked Adrienne to pinch me because Steve Rajeff was up at the BBQ and cooking us dinner!

I hung out also with the remarkable Travis Johnson that I had met a year before on the Deschuttes. I booked Travis back then because he was the top dog in the world of dIstance Spey casting. I did not know if he could teach but figured I would be able to work it out if I could just spend a couple of days casting and talking to him. I was casting with Jerry Siem a few days before my meeting with Travis and Jerry said to talk him into a comp with a single handed rod and try to get back half my guiding fee on the distance result. Travis is not so hot with the one hander but man he understands the 2 hand stick like no other. It was some of the best money I've spent with anyone in the industry. I could not recommend him highly enough.

Gawesworth was sensational and I feel we are wicked twins in so many ways. I fished with him on Lake Fergus last year. It was very bright and very still. Lachie kept him honest for a short time from the back of the boat with a cane rod but then he wound up. I said at the end of the day that he was the best angler I've ever fished with and he only made one error in 5 hours. When I thought about it later it made sense that it should be that way. I think Simon has represented England in world fishing champs for 6 years. He has competed in casting champs too and has guided and taught casting. He is the real deal and not the slightest hint of him being a cock head in any way. He is always on the lookout for ways to do it better. My kind of man.

He is a beautiful 2 hand caster and in my opinion just as good with the one hander. Simon also has what I call 'Generosity of Spirit' in spades. This is the greatest attribute we can have.

I head off to Montana at the end of the week. I fish with my mate the legendary guide Chuck Ravetta, who lives on Hebgen Lake, for a week. (Last year I had perhaps the best and most demanding dry fly fishing I have ever experienced there with him). I then go the the IFFF Conclave in Livingstone for a week. I've a day at a BOG meeting and two days of examining CI and MCI. I then do some workshops and participate as a student in a couple. I'm looking forward to it. The G&T's will be flowing. The Taransky Cane rod will weave its magic and the Ari Hart Remco will be singing !

I may get to Taiwan casting this winter too. I'm chatting with Dennis about that at the moment.

When I get home we run a CCI and MCI continuing education workshop week at the lodge because there is a testing event that Morsie is organising in the Blue Mountains in September.

A week or so later I host the first ever Australian SpeyClave. I had dinner with April Vokey in Sydney the other night and she said that she would love to come along and be part of it. I guess you have heard that she is a partner in the Epic company with Carl. I felt a 13' #7 two hander in her house and I couldn't tell the difference between it and my Sage Mod. I have a feeling that April and Carl will do great things together. Tony Loader and Bintoro will also be down at the lodge as tutors. I really think the Spey and maybe more so the Switch revolution has arrived in Australia.

Then the new season starts again Paul... my 23rd.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Wow, sounds like you are very busy mate!! Here it's full time casting training for the World Championships in Estonia next month. I might be in Australia or NZ Nov-Jan and then it's back to the jungle for another Malaysian fishing exploration. Really enjoying those Snakehead! :cool:

The problem with the cormorants here in Europe by the way, is not that they just take the small dumb fish but that they can actually completely wipe out both rivers and canals.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Tom Benson

Post by Tom Benson »

:p Hi Peter, & welcome ... Going to ask you some casting questions , but , need time to overtime my
gob spacking admiration ... Tom
Serious questions too follow!
Tom
Boisker

Post by Boisker »

Hey Peter..
Not a casting question... But I've just been looking back through your blog and came across the penny knot, I do love a reliable knot that you can tie with haemostats.... Easier than wet fumbling fingers... it's definitely one I'm gonna use.
Looking forward to what casting questions you get asked...
Cheers
Matt
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Ok I'll start off! Why are double handed rods becoming popular in Aussie, is it because of the casting or are there practical fishing applications? The Switch stuff I've never fully understood - maybe that's because long single handed rods have a long history in the UK and there for never the need to involved the other hand for anything else apart from hauling! Of course there are applications, particularly for the very young, old or weak. But otherwise I've always thought them to be of rather niche practical application but "trendy".

Or is the DH stuff for teaching guys ready to go salmon fishing in Russia or Norway for example?

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Twisties

Post by Twisties »

Hi Peter,

I understand you have done a lot of different types of fly fishing chasing all sorts of species all around the world. Can you describe to us your all time favorite fly fishing experience and why this is so?

Thanks for joining us,
Tristan.
Eagle Crest

Post by Eagle Crest »

Hi Peter,

Welcome. It seems you have spent a bit of time near my home turf. I'm farther south on the Deschutes. I stopped in at The Fly Fishing Place shop the day after the Sandy River Spey Clave on my way to the airport and got a great report of the event. You certainly spent quality time with some fine folks, too.

I look forward to the questions and your answers this week. Again, welcome to the Forum.

Steve
Veni, Vidi, Pisci
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

G'day Haysie,

Welcome to the forum and I look forward to lurking on the questions you'll get asked. You're truly a cheeky bast4rd, even more Aussie than Hoges ... :) I'm glad you're out there on the world stage giving shit to the guys who take themselves too seriously.

Cheers,
Graeme

PS - we did the "what's the best advancement in tackle" question late last year. Your stripper clip didn't make the cut, mate. ;)
FFi CCI
Haysie

Post by Haysie »

Boisker wrote:Hey Peter..
Not a casting question... But I've just been looking back through your blog and came across the penny knot, I do love a reliable knot that you can tie with haemostats.... Easier than wet fumbling fingers... it's definitely one I'm gonna use.
Looking forward to what casting questions you get asked...
Cheers
Matt
The Penny knot was developed by my friend Ron Penny many, many moons ago. I have since seen it as the Pitzen knot. If I pull it tight on my nail knot tool then remove the tool once I hear the knot 'Click' into place then I have a small 2mm loop.

In many copolymers it breaks up the tippet rather than at the knot. Therefore 100%

I personally don't tie it with hemostats but use a single finger tip. I'll one day work out how to upload a youtube of it.

Return to “A week with...”