PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Welcome Dr William McGlinn

Moderator: Paul Arden

Walter
Answers: 0

Post by Walter »

Lasse Karlsson wrote:
170 works because a running start and finish is alot faster than a standing start and a standing finish. And it is so much faster, that going 10 feet in the wrong direction at the end hurts very little....

Cheers
Lasse
Every cast ends with some going in the wrong direction, the 170 just does more of it.
"There can be only one." - The Highlander. :pirate:

PS. I have a flying tank. Your argument is irrelevant.

PSS. How to generate a climbing loop through control of the casting stroke is left as a (considerable) exercise to the reader.
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

Walter wrote:
Lasse Karlsson wrote:
170 works because a running start and finish is alot faster than a standing start and a standing finish. And it is so much faster, that going 10 feet in the wrong direction at the end hurts very little....

Cheers
Lasse
Every cast ends with some going in the wrong direction, the 170 just does more of it.
Every cast starts and ends with going the wrong direction, some even take a detour during.....

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Is it not also pulling it, Vince? Or at least the line that is being removed is pulling the line behind?

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Walter

Post by Walter »

Paul - Force is a vector quantity.

PSS. How to generate a climbing loop through control of the casting stroke is left as a (considerable) exercise to the reader.
Walter

Post by Walter »

Lasse Karlsson wrote:
Every cast starts and ends with going the wrong direction, some even take a detour during.....

Cheers
Lasse
Some more than others... :D

VGB

Post by VGB »

Paul Arden wrote:Is it not also pulling it, Vince? Or at least the line that is being removed is pulling the line behind?

Cheers, Paul
Hi Paul, it is pulling the mass out of the fly leg

https://vimeo.com/163408827

Regards

Vince
Casting instruction - making simple things complicated since 1765

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I agree that it's pulling over-hang out, what I'm asking is if the rod tip is still accelerating will this result in acceleration at the fly end?

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Post by VGB »

Paul, it would behave much the same way if it was at 90 degrees to the fly leg.

Regards

Vince
Casting instruction - making simple things complicated since 1765

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Walter

Post by Walter »

Paul Arden wrote:I agree that it's pulling over-hang out, what I'm asking is if the rod tip is still accelerating will this result in acceleration at the fly end?

Cheers, Paul
Paul, because force and velocity are vector quantities a change in direction is acceleration even though the actual speed may be increasing, decreasing or remaining the same. An object travelling in a circle is constantly accelerating even though its speed may not be changing.

If you are asking, "If the speed of the rod tip is increasing will this result in acceleration at the fly end?". The answer is maybe. The line is not a point mass, it is a flexible distributed mass and it has a number of forces acting on it. It's not as simple as thinking of the loop as a pulley with the line wrapped around it. Obviously if we pull on one end of a line that is looped around a pulley then the entire line changes speed but the loop is not a fixed rigid pulley. It is flexible. To determine if a change in tip direction is going to affect the speed of the fly you can look at the change in X and Y components of the force, acceleration, or velocity for the rod tip and determine if this is going to affect the speed of the fly. You could also look at the tension in the line to make this determination. One way to determine the tension in the line is described in Dr. McGlinn's book and that is to look at the shape of the fly line from rod tip to fly.

Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Great. Please tell Lasse :)

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “A week with...”