PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Welcome Dr William McGlinn

Moderator: Paul Arden

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

You've lost me here Walter, the fly leg moves but there is no rod leg.
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Walter
Answers: 0

Post by Walter »

Paul,

Get some sleep. There are no train tracks.
"There can be only one." - The Highlander. :pirate:

PS. I have a flying tank. Your argument is irrelevant.

PSS. How to generate a climbing loop through control of the casting stroke is left as a (considerable) exercise to the reader.
gordonjudd

Post by gordonjudd »

The tracks make the train analogy valid only for a fixed pulley, the loop is not.
Lasse,
I was not talking about what happens after the loop is formed, but the time the tip speed along its path is increasing. That why there was a caveat that "If the train increases its speed along the track"

At that point there is no loop and thus no fixed pulley analogy. I was just trying to point out that as long as there is no slack in the line, then the speed of the fly will increase while the tip speed is increasing even though the path the tip is following and the path the fly is following may be in different directions.

Can you come up with a slack free example (i.e. there is a varying tension along the length of the line) where that would not be true?

Gordy
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I think Gordy's posted image shows it pretty clearly the the line curves away following the rod tip Walter. There is no rod leg - at least not until RSP - and the fly end must be moving. Is this skin drag at play?

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
VGB

Post by VGB »

Paul Arden wrote:I think Gordy's posted image shows it pretty clearly the the line curves away following the rod tip Walter. There is no rod leg - at least not until RSP - and the fly end must be moving. Is this skin drag at play?

Cheers, Paul
Paul

Lay out a flexible distributed mass in the same way that Gordy static picture is and pull on the rod tip end until the fly end moves. Please tell me what shape the line is laid out in even the fly end begins to move and in what direction the fly begins to move in.

Regards

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
VGB

Post by VGB »

gordonjudd wrote: Can you come up with a slack free example (i.e. there is a varying tension along the length of the line) where that would not be true?

Gordy
That is an unusual definition of slack Gordy, where did it come from?

Vince
“Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage — to move in the opposite direction.” — Ernst F. Schumacher

https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... f-coaching
Walter

Post by Walter »

Paul Arden wrote:I think Gordy's posted image shows it pretty clearly the the line curves away following the rod tip Walter. There is no rod leg - at least not until RSP - and the fly end must be moving. Is this skin drag at play?

Cheers, Paul
Paul,

I'm not sure what image you are referring to but as Vince has suggested try laying 40 feet of line out on a flat surface (one with minimal drag) and try pulling one end at right angles to the lay out. Let me know if the other end begins to move immediately.

PSS. How to generate a climbing loop through control of the casting stroke is left as a (considerable) exercise to the reader.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Yep it doesn't look like a loop forming. Skin drag?

Flycasting Definitions
Walter

Post by Walter »

Did the fly end move? How far did you have to move the rod end before the fly end started to move?

Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

gordonjudd wrote:
The tracks make the train analogy valid only for a fixed pulley, the loop is not.

Can you come up with a slack free example (i.e. there is a varying tension along the length of the line) where that would not be true?

Gordy
A flycast?

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)

Return to “A week with...”