PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

New to the Board?

If you are new to the board please tell us about yourself...
Chess

Re: New to the Board?

Post by Chess » Wed May 12, 2021 4:10 pm

Thanks Graeme.

Chess

Post by Chess » Fri May 14, 2021 3:56 pm

It would be remiss of me not to say this, (I have no idea of your sailing experience) but if you do want to sail and live onboard around the tropical north of Australia I would strongly suggest you look at a bilge keel yacht. The tides can be high and savage, 22 feet in places - it can plane a boat on anchor. Much of Nth Queensland has vast areas of mud flats and shallow estuaries. With a bilge keel you can simply let the boat settle on the bottom and it stays upright until floated off by the next tide. The boat I was on drew 6' and we had the occasional drama running a ground, no fun when they start to lay over, and couldn't get into many shallow places, except by dingy. Lots of fun anyway arhh! :pirate:

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Post by Paul Arden » Sun May 16, 2021 7:03 am

It’s partly for that reason that I’m most interested in a catamaran. I met a guy who sailed the word for many years in 44’ leopard cat. That’s ultimately my goal. Or similar! It also has the advantage that it gives guests their own hull. Or if my wife isn’t talking to me. :)

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

marlsounds

Post by marlsounds » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:22 am

Paul Arden wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:59 am
...I’m planning a trip back maybe next Wet Season - ie the following November for three months. We shall see how that pans out...
Bugger. Hopefully next year, mate. I'd love to crack into some casting lessons with you when you're over here too. Never too late to learn right? :yeahhh:

Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 1

Post by Paul Arden » Sat Sep 11, 2021 3:25 am

The only time we stop learning is when we keel over :D :pirate: I give lessons via Zoom and have a regular base of clients. I’ll be continuing these through to around Xmas when I expect borders to reopen and to have guests again. I’m seeing some excellent improvements. Undoubtedly the best results I’ve had as an instructor, but some of these guys have now had many lessons. One chap in particular in Hong Kong has just booked his second course of 10 lessons (I give 12 lessons for the cost of ten) and so has had 13 lessons with me now. From where he was back in March to where he is now definitely the best improvement I’ve seen from any student (one would hope so too!!). And actually the most fun to teach as a result.

A few details here https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... -zoom-cast

Drop me a line if you’re interested! I’ll be offline from the middle of next week for ten days (filming a fishing show in Taman Negara jungle).

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “New to the Board, Introductions”