PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

New to the Board?

If you are new to the board please tell us about yourself...
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: New to the Board?

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Reinhard,

Welcome to the Board :) :) :cool:

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Dangermouse
Answers: 0

Post by Dangermouse »

Hi everyone
I cut my fly fishing teeth on the Stillwaters of Lancashire Uk
Then in 2001 I moved to the USA
Unfortunately fishing took a back seat with getting settled, new family etc
Then the lockdowns started, perfect time to get away from everyone and go fishing.
I've been fishing with bait and spinning gear for the last couple is seasons, but it's not really my thing ( can't sit still long enough lol )
So I got my sister back in the UK to ship my old custom made fly fishing rod to me ( can't believe it was still there )
I've been working on getting my casting going again over the winter but I seem to have developed a fault. Almost every cast lands with the last 6 feet or so bent at a 90° angle to the left. Any suggestions would be appreciated
So long, and thanks for all the fish
George C

Post by George C »

Welcome Dangermouse.
Plenty of guys here who will help you.
I’m the least qualified to do so.
You may do better to ask your question on the beginners or flycasting forum, however.
In the mean time reviewing some of the threads on tracking should help.
Finishing with your arm across your body could cause what you describe.

George
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Dangermouse! Every episode finished with a bomb!! So do most SL videos :cool:

Tracking (with targets) is your most likely cause although it could be as George suggests (tip path, also tracking). I’ll draw some art…
8E7F02FC-5D90-4388-9D8C-921B924A57C1.jpeg
8E7F02FC-5D90-4388-9D8C-921B924A57C1.jpeg (70.62 KiB) Viewed 1763 times
Welcome to the Board!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Dangermouse

Post by Dangermouse »

I think your right Paul
When I try casting with the tip path directly over head rod hand hitting the shoulder the bend doesn't happen as much. But when I lean the rod out to the side a little ( my comfortable position) it is back
So long, and thanks for all the fish
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

It’s still possible to track straight off a tilted casting plane, DM. A good exercise is to false cast staring at the vertical and then tilting by 30 degrees, 60 and 90. And then repeating cross-shoulder.

But anyway it’s targets (back/front alignment). It’s very common indeed! You can also do this:
289B761D-9DAF-40E5-9604-7DDD0FD6B466.jpeg
Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Rickard

Post by Rickard »

Hello!
Rickard from Sweden. Started using the fly rod in October last year so kind of a beginner.
When I’m not practicing with the fly rod I use it for hunting seatrout at the coast.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Rickard, welcome to the Board! :D :D Beautiful country!!

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
FishingOnTheFly

Post by FishingOnTheFly »

Hey all,

Excited to finally be among fellow anglers! I grew up trout fishing in New York and salmon/steelhead fishing in the Great Lakes.

I have always wanted to fish abroad, but more so meet the multitude of angling and fly-fishing communities outside of the USA. Post-college graduation seemed to be a great time to try, so here I am! I was able to secure enough through a fellowship with the premise of learning about different angling communities around the world. I started in August in Iceland and now am in Norway. Its been expensive and challenging to get use to fishing on the road, so I would love to chat with fellow anglers about their tips/tricks for travel fishing and finding affordable accomidation.

If anyone has any leads in Norway, Scotland, Chile, and Spain (where I hope to fish) I would love to chat over coffee.

Cheers,
Dylan
Bendix

Post by Bendix »

Hi Dylan

Welcome to the board.

I was also in Iceland in August, fishing for Trout and Char. Where you also targeting Trout, or did you fish for Salmon? There sure was a lot of American people in the airport, when I was heading back home…

/Bendix

Return to “New to the Board, Introductions”