PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Semi automatic reels

If you are new to the board please tell us about yourself...
bebob
Answers: 0

Re: Semi automatic reels

Post by bebob »

I wouldn't recommend using a Vivarelli in the salt. I have been using them for many years in freshwater and if you forget to lubricate them they seize up. Another downside is that the drag is designed to be set to avoid overrun and has to be adjusted using an Allen key also no way could you retrieve a bonefish by pumping the handle. If you have a lot of line out on a river with a good current the spool just slips when you try to retrieve line.
CraigB

Post by CraigB »

Any semiautomatic you’d recommend for saltwater bone fishing or redfish?
bebob

Post by bebob »

Sorry, but I don't know of any. My experience is limited to Vivarelli. I think the basic problem is that semiautomtic reels are basically designed for quick line retrieval in fresh water hence are not saltwater proof and don't have what it takes to haul in a feisty bone.
CraigB

Post by CraigB »

Anyone familiar and have experience with Peux Fluor reel or Peux reels in general. Thx.

Return to “New to the Board, Introductions”