PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

New to the board

If you are new to the board please tell us about yourself...
thedeadskunk
Answers: 0

New to the board

Post by thedeadskunk »

Hello to everyone,

Many thanks to Paul for sorting me out with login etc.
I'm from Coventry, Warwickshire, England. I am just about to start my GAIA portfolio, and have a bash at attempting to better the #7 weight standard UK casting record through the BFCC. If my shoulder and technique are up to it, that is.
I look forward to learning so much on here.
Thank you.
James9118

Re: New to the board

Post by James9118 »

Hi thedeadskunk, welcome to Sexyloops.

I'm the current holder of the BFCC #7 record :cool: I look forward to competing against you at some point, how far are you currently casting a #7 outfit? My own distance casting improved immensely after finding Sexyloops, so you're in the right place.

All the best, James
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Welcome to the Board! Best of luck with your GAIA exams. Lots of instructors on the Board for sure! I’m going to have to come back and reclaim my 5WT record now that Bart has beaten it twice :D

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
thedeadskunk

Post by thedeadskunk »

I can put the whole #7 GT125, using a Grey's Platinum XD Competition Special 10' #8.
I am not in anyway in the class of caster on here, as my form is proper 5HITE. That's an understatement, too.
I have decided to strip myself bare and start over as I do my GAIA portfolio and journey.
Much coaching along the way.
Time to ask my first question, elsewhere on here.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

That's great Dead Skunk :D I'm we can help with both. In fact you'll find the combination of distance and instructor casting requirements will really tidy up your casting. The instructor stuff is really all about consistent, reasonably tight, fairly effortless loops, which is all about controlling your movements. Comp distance is kind of the same precision, but flat out! Another excellent journey that fits well is competition accuracy. https://www.sexyloops.com/flycast/accuracy/ This really is all about repeatable loops, hover, trajectories and tracking.

Incidentally for distance you absolutely need a tape measure. When I first started using a tape measure I was throwing 15' shorter than I expected. I still don't understand how 120' of line lands the fly only 105' away :laugh: It looks straight, but apparently there is 15' of slack hiding in the length. It took me another two years to get my casting up to a level where one of my early claims on Sexyloops that I could throw a five weight 40 yards was actually substantiated. :ninja:

I can tell you one thing, Paul, it's a fascinating journey, and I'm pleased that I'm still on it. I think you'll love it! So do you tie with roadkill?

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Viking Lars

Post by Viking Lars »

Welcome - I hope you stay sane :-).

Lars
thedeadskunk

Post by thedeadskunk »

Many thanks guys.
I'll do my best, No road kill Paul. My brother used to be the gamekeeper on Elderslie Estate in Bridge of Weir, Scotland: plenty of fly tying materials to be had, Paul. No skunks though.

A couple of questions: May I see the fly substitute you use in the accuracy competition. Just wish to know the material, length, thickness and density, basically how aero dynamic it is.

Second question, and this is a challenge. You lot can place a fly on a flat ring target, but can anyone place a loop (unrolling fly line) through a vertical ring on a stick at say 5-8 feet high off the ground at distance? Or is that too easy.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

I use a few different flies. In the WCs the flies are almost wet flies :) Best would be a bog brush style Bivisible with the hackle trimmed short. I don’t like practising with wool because it has different dynamics and I tick when I switch to an accuracy fly. Having said that wool is better over grass I think - grabs less - but if I’m throwing at splash pans I’ll use a fly. Since my boat overturned last year I don’t have any of the official WC accuracy flies! No doubt someone else can post a photo.

Standing ring is quite easy. In fact there is a small trick, tilt the loop to about 45 degrees and if you are right handed aim at 7.30 on the ring assuming it’s a clock face. Loop hits the ring and the fly leg pops through. It’s possible without hitting the ring of course, but if you do it this way it should pass through every time. (I learned that from Tim Rajeff!).

I spent a bit of time practising it. The problem is not to accidentally hit the ring on the false cast. Two ways of dealing with this. One is to false cast to one side and then deliver back and forward at the different angle. The other method - which I prefer - is to false cast short to the target and then shoot a fixed length of line into the final backcast. I do this by having a measured loop below the line hand. This will take a little bit of practise to arrange while false casting but not difficult.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
thedeadskunk

Post by thedeadskunk »

Sorry, I mean, Can you put a very narrow loop through a small lolly pop style standing ring so that the fly line unrolls through the ring on the other side?
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

That depends who is holding the lollipop.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “New to the Board, Introductions”