PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Brand New

If you are new to the board please tell us about yourself...
Melsden
Answers: 0

Brand New

Post by Melsden »

Hi - you guessed it, I'm new to the Board. Displaced Brit now living in Colorado. I first cast (badly) a fly 23yrs ago and on my second cast (badly), I caught a 10lb pike! I have been an addict ever since. Passed my Fly Fishers International Certified Casting Instructor exam just over two years ago and I'm now on the long road to MCI. This site as been a massive help on my journey.

Cheers Y'all.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Brand New

Post by Paul Arden »

Hey Michael, welcome to the Board!! I’ve fished Colorado a few times and could well imagine living there :) Mind you every time I travelled through there it seemed to be snowing :p

Good luck on the MCI. Do you have a date in mind yet?

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Melsden

Post by Melsden »

Thanks Paul. CO is every season in a day! No date in mind, but I'm loosely thinking another 3 years. Perhaps that's unrealistic. Heh, with my new HT instructor rod, it'll cut that time in half, right? .... ? Okay, maybe not.

thx. ME
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Something that will help a great deal for the MCI test is plenty of teaching experience. More and more nowadays this is being assessed, which I think is the right way. When you are getting closer let me know and we can go through the theory! Best about 6 months out from the test.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
John Lindsey Flexner

Post by John Lindsey Flexner »

Yes I join the ranks as well. 50 years casting and I'm finally learning how to do it correctly. Started working on my CI this year with a group here in Oregon. Retired here from the East Coast of the US 3 years ago. I'm a lefty who is learning to cast with both hands, a total gear junkie who has more rods,reels, and fly lines than good sense. Bamboo, glass, graphite, graphene, if they build it I will cast it.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi John! Welcome to the Board! Sorry I was offline all last week :)

I’m a righty learning to cast with both hands :) Good luck with the CI. Lots of information here. It has been called a “minefield of information” in the past :laugh:

Do you fish for Steelhead there?

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
John Lindsey Flexner

Yes steelhead fishing is in full swing this time of the year and the run is the best we have had here in about 5 years. I wish I was better with a two hander. Once I get my Ci for single I will start my two handed certificate next. I have already learned a ton from the site. Your casting manual is awesome and free unlike the one I paid for from FFI!!!! I am working on relaxing my hand on the backcast stop to help prevent the "tip dip". Great "tip" and the first I've heard it.
Thanks,
Lindsey
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Thanks Lindsey! The manual was written about 20 years ago and I would definitely write it differently nowadays. I think the video manual is ok. But the best place to be is here :)

I’ve never fished for Steelhead. Definitely something I have to do at some point. But anything under about 23C and I have to put a jumper on nowadays :D

Be sure to ask loads of questions :cool:

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
John Lindsey Flexner

RE: Steelhead Fishing
LOL Yeah you would definitely need a jumper today it's about 4 C for the high. But the sun is shining and when the wind doesn't blow too hard it's not bad. I'll probably head out after the holidays. Happy holiday to all
jlf

Return to “New to the Board, Introductions”