PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

New guy from Denmark

If you are new to the board please tell us about yourself...
Bendix
Answers: 0

New guy from Denmark

Post by Bendix »

Hello All

My name is Bendix, and I’ve been a long time lurker on this forum, but now I think it’s time to join the fun.

I live in western Denmark, and I started fly fishing when I was 13 years old. At first it was 50/50 fly and spin fishing, and later I started coarse fishing for Carp, and then it was 50/50 between Carp and fly. But thankfully I quit the Carp fishing when I was around 27 (Danish Carp fishermen are crazy!!!) and I started focusing solely on fly fishing. Although I still fish the spinning rod a couple of times each year...

The fly fishing I do is mostly for Salmon and Seatrout in the Varde river, since I live in the city of Varde. But when May comes, and the Mayflies start hatching, I usually spend around one month focusing on dry fly for Trout and Grayling, in the small tributaries to the Varde river.
When the river season is closed, I fish for Seatrout in the salt, and sometimes visit the local Trout ponds.

Besides fishing, I tie my own flies, which I began doing shortly after I started the fly fishing journey. I also dabble a bit with drawing and painting, where the motives are usually fly fishing related.
For work, I work as a store clerk in a shop that specializes in Outdoor clothing and gear, and also fishing tackle. It’s mostly spinning tackle we sell, and not a lot of fly tackle, but that’s just how it is where I live...

Thank you Paul for having me on the board!

Cheers, Bendix
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: New guy from Denmark

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Bendix, great to have you on the Board! I’ve always enjoyed fishing in Denmark and once I even saw Lars catch a fish! Were you locked down last year and if so was fishing allowed?

I might be over next summer - depends on if I can travel. :)

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Bendix

Post by Bendix »

Hi Paul

Yes, we were in lockdown during spring 2020, and I started working in the shop again after the Easter holidays. Fishing was and is allowed, and I managed to land some nice fish during springtime. I landed a nice Springer Salmon during April, and a nice 20 inch Brown Trout on dry fly during May (which is a rare size Trout in Denmark). These were the best fish among many.
We are also in lockdown right now, and I won’t be working before February 8 (unless they change the restrictions again). But fishing is allowed. But because the cold winter is covering Denmark, I spend most of the time at home, tying flies for Iceland Trout, as me and 3 friends are planning a fishing trip to Iceland this summer, providing we are allowed to travel...

The funny thing about 2020 is, that a lot of people and businesses were struggling a lot to stay afloat. But because of lockdown, a lot of people in Denmark suddenly wanted to go fishing and hiking! So we were incredibly busy in my shop, and had a hard time keeping up with all the customers! And we actually ended 2020 having record revenue... So that was a bit of a surprise...

/Bendix
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Bendix,

It’s been tough here. During the first lockdown they shut the lake. After they found me I couldn’t go fishing for a couple of months. Just so ridiculous. Fishing in a remote area on your own is no risk whatsoever. Living in a town, which I ultimately had to do for a while, is far more risky. Made me realise that I’m not as remote as I once thought I was. Still it took them over a month to find me :p

Fingers crossed your Iceland trip goes ahead!! That’s one place I’ve never fished yet but if it’s anything like north Sweden or north Russia it will be amazing :) :)

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Bendix

Post by Bendix »

Hi Paul

Yeah, as I wrote I have been a lurker on the board for a while. So I know a little about what you and others have been through. And I know it’s been hard on many with this whole lockdown. But I’m hoping that the new vaccines will change everything for the better soon...

I’m really looking forward to the Iceland trip, and I hope we will get to go! One of my friends from the group was there in 2019, and he has told me a lot about what to expect, plus I have been watching as many Youtube movies as I have been able to find... I have also fished some remote areas in Sweden and Greenland in the past, so I have a pretty good idea of what to expect! It’s going to be awesome!

/Bendix
Viking Lars

Post by Viking Lars »

Hey Bendix,
Velkommen til galeanstalten :-).

Lars
Bendix

Post by Bendix »