PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

New to the board from Stockholm

If you are new to the board please tell us about yourself...
barrysthlm
Answers: 0

New to the board from Stockholm

Post by barrysthlm »

Hi all!

My name is Barry and I am based in Stockholm.

After many years of fishing I started fly fishing about 18 months ago, and I am completely obsessed with both the fishing and the casting.

I fish in Stockholm, mostly stocked rainbows with some sea trout in the Baltic, and sometimes grayling, ‘sik’, and brown trout in the north of Sweden.

I’m currently working towards a certification in casting instruction, not with the explicit intention to teach, but because it was the best way to develop.

All the water is frozen here some I’m spending my evenings refining my cast on a snowy football pitch. I’m currently stuck at 85-95 feet, working on moving my haul to the rotation and trying to figure out how to squeeze a few extra feet out of my cast.

Hoping for many good nerdy chats on the intricacies of casting!

Regards

Barry
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: New to the board from Stockholm

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Barry

Hey a big welcome to the Board. That’s great that you’ve found fly fishing and you’re right; it’s an obsession :D

It would be interesting to pass one of the teaching certifications after 18 months fly fishing but I know it’s possible. It’s one reason I set up an alternative
https://www.sexyloops.com/index.php/ps/ ... -challenge

In either case I’m sure you’ll get plenty of help from the Board. :)

The north of Sweden is just incredible fishing!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
barrysthlm

Post by barrysthlm »

Thanks Paul!

I should qualify that I have had the opportunity to fish on average 5-6 days a week over those 18 months!

I’m only pursuing the certification because my teacher said there was nothing left to work on. I’m a trainer in my job so it isn’t a big step to be able to explain something. That said I’m still pretty green in a lot of areas, I’ve never fished with two-hands or anything above a 9 wt.

3 chances into 2m would be easy! I haven’t tried some of the casts, the overpowered curves or the bow and arrow. Right now I’m trying to improve my off-shoulder casting, which isn’t as sharp as it should be, and am obsessing about distance.

I’m going to spend the whole summer in the north this year!

Barry
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Yep you should be able to do it 9 times out of 10. What makes it challenging of course is the pressure when you are being marked. It’s probably about Ci skill level. There are some casts in there that are in the MCI but I think they are good fishing casts that should be practised.

The CCI is much more about teaching, fault diagnosis, casting mechanics and so on. I do know people who’ve passed it with limited fishing experience.

It’s also possible to look at the casting competition side of things. Sweden are world class and may or may not be holding the world championships this year (it was postponed from last year because of COViD and we don’t know yet about this year).

If I was living in Sweden I wound definitely be living in the north! Although the winters don’t really appeal to me :D

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Hej Barry!

Kul att se en annan svensk på Sexyloops. Vi är några stycken. :) Själv bor jag i Göteborg.

/Thomas
barrysthlm

Post by barrysthlm »

Tack Thomas!

Ska vara kul att lära mig känna några fler här i Sverige som håller på med flugfiske på allvar!

Hälsningar

Barry
t.z.

Post by t.z. »

Velkommen ;-)
barrysthlm

Post by barrysthlm »

Takk!