PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

New to the Board from Canada

If you are new to the board please tell us about yourself...
WC
Answers: 0

New to the Board from Canada

Post by WC »

Hello.
Walter here. I'm from Alberta Canada and have been flyfishing for about thirty years. I enjoy mostly river fishing for the various species of trout, but about 30% of my fishing is done in lakes. In the past 6 or 7 years I've become very interested in casting mechanics and improving my own casts. This is how I came across this site which is such a wealth of knowledge! I was studying for the CI exam that was to be held in Montana last September, but of course Covid hit. I'll have to wait until things return to normal. Anyways, that's enough rambling. It's good to be a member!
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: New to the Board from Canada

Post by Paul Arden »

Hi Walter!!

I used to fish/camp the BC/Alberta border for many years. Fantastic fishing. I’ll be back I don’t know when but I shall be back for sure :D

Great to have you on the Board. I guess you’ve done a pre-test etc? A good fiend of mine - also a Walter - lives in Calgary and is MCI.

Just coming into Spring now? :cool:

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
WC
Answers: 0

Post by WC »

Yes coming into spring now. Actually the test was in Colorado, not Montana. I was studying the pre-test material when the virus hit. We only have one casting instructor here in Edmonton (Barry White MCI). He guides on the bow river. I've read posts where you guys were talking about how guides should be certified casting instructors. I have to agree.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

Edmonton. Biggest shopping mall in the world. Don’t ask me how I know this :D Would love to fish up there on ice-off. I actually saw a bloke carried away by mosquitoes north of there.

Indeed this is my biggest criticism of the program. I think guides should be casting instructors and casting instructors should be fishing instructors! It’s bizarre to me that they are separated.

I know CIs with virtually nil fishing experience - literally a few dozen days on a small stock pond where the fish are fed dried insects - and I know guides who take complete beginners fishing but can’t teach basic loop control.

The criticism that casting instructors can cast but not fish is obviously untrue but unfortunately in some cases there is actually an element of truth to it.

However it’s the lack of guides participation in the program that is my biggest criticism of the program itself. It also allows casting instruction to keep its amateur status, me personally I’ve always seen it as a profession, albeit largely a part time one.

Anyway as a guide I would still recommend doing the CCI because it does help structure your casting teaching and it allows you to know what and how to fix a client’s casting. It’s crazy not to have those skills!

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “New to the Board, Introductions”