PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Hello from Spain

If you are new to the board please tell us about yourself...
Truchasconseca
Answers: 0

Hello from Spain

Post by Truchasconseca »

Hi!
In a first time thanks to Paul (and everyone) to do and manteined this site.
My english is not a lot so excuse me my wrongs in attempts to explined me.
Basically I here interest for casting, I thing I have a medium/serious cast with a 8 feet rod for #4 line but actually mounting an #3 line. Normally (I think) I wach great casting videos but with 10 or 11 feet rods an #6 or #7 lines, so... Is normal my problem off medium/poor cast?.. 18 meters actually.
Thank you for you answers.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Re: Hello from Spain

Post by Paul Arden »

Hello Truchasconseca, and welcome to the Board!! Rod length and line weight certainly make a difference. As does the profile of the line. 3WT in particular, especially if it’s a short head will have a different meaning for “distance” casting.

We have cast them in Sexyloops competition “shootouts” and depending on the rod/line I’ve certainly seen casts in the 90’ mark. But I also remember casting a fibreglass rod in Spain that no one could cast beyond 60’ :laugh:

Which part of Spain are you from?

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Truchasconseca

Post by Truchasconseca »

G. Mornig now from here.
Now I'm live in Cáceres (Extremadura), the antipodes for fly fishing trout 😄 (but I found an small river that has them), is a "river with life" with others small fishes and you don't know you will catch when put the fly on the water.
About distance... we mannaged diferent system of measurement, feet vs meters haha so... I'll looking for an calculator to expline me.
I obtaine 59 feet with this old equipment, and I forgot comment, is #3 line D.T. and W.F. but I cut the line 2 or 3 times ha ha, so not W.F. and not D.T. , but it still fishing, ha ha.
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

Welcome to the board Truchasconseca.
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Haha not a part of Spain I have visited. I did fish for very small trout near Valencia two decades ago. But the bass fishing was better :D

I suspect there might be a few more feet there. But it can also depend a lot on the rod. Some small stream rods are very soft and it’s difficult to make any sort of long distance casts. If you want to post a video of you casting (upload to YouTube of Vimeo and embed into the Board) then that would be great and I’m sure you’ll get some great advice.

What I like about light lines is that they don’t go very far without excellent technique!

Huge thunderstorm approaching. Back later :)

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
t.z.

Post by t.z. »

Hola & welcome. I've been to Caceres few month ago. What a beautiful place. I hope to travel there again this fall.

Cheers, TZ
Truchasconseca

Post by Truchasconseca »

Hello and sorry for my abandonment, is terrible hot here 40º celsius or 104 fahrenheit on this days.
If you search on YouTube (not on Google), my nick name -Truchasconseca- over there can watch some videos of my fishing journeys and my profile picture making cast with this old equipment, even so sure I can to improve my casting.
Good summer!!
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Yep I’ve heard about the weather. Nuts. Here the wet/dry seasons are totally messed up this year.

Cheers, Paul

Flycasting Definitions
Truchasconseca

Post by Truchasconseca »

Ok.
About the rods and their actions. What are their names in English? In Spanish they are fast, slow and parabolic.
Paul Arden
Site Admin

Post by Paul Arden »

Yep. We also have tip and butt. I’m not sure how much any of the terms mean. How progressive is the action and how fast the frequency would be more how I think anyway. There are several systems in place to measure these things. CCS, which is the most predominant, has uses for some people and limitations for others.

Flycasting Definitions

Return to “New to the Board, Introductions”