PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Dolphin nose on the back cast?

Moderator: Torsten

Mangrove Cuckoo

Re: Dolphin nose on the back cast?

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:22 pm

Ok,

So I read through Mac's Loop article a few times and I think I get it?

Loop shape is (partially or primarily) a result of balance (or imbalance) between tension in the legs?

Low overall tension and legs too close -> dolphin nose.
Balanced tension and appropriate leg separation -> symmetrical loop
High tension and and sufficient leg separation -> loop morph to wedge

Is that about right???

The first one definitely matches what I saw when casting recently... I was concentrating on minimal speed and close legs so I could take advantage of the off-center winds to view my back cast.

I almost always strive for the middle scenario, and others, (if they say anything nice about my loops), usually remark about nice symmetry.

I expect I seldom throw wedge shaped loops. I have been accused of being a "lazy" caster.

I expect to see Mac in a little while. I'm gonna ask him to demonstrate the loop shapes. I always try to catch his demos, but I have given up on asking him questions. We think on different tempos. I have been called "slow" but I prefer "deliberate" or "linear". To me, Mac's mind works like a jazz musician in improvisation mode.
“Very simple man. Catching fish makes me happy. Scaringly simple.”

Håvard Stubø

James9118

Post by James9118 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:32 pm

Mangrove Cuckoo wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:22 pm
Is that about right???
No, I don't believe it is the whole story.
I have some photo's of Tracy throwing a #12 as far as she could - fast speed, wide loops and a clear DNL - I'll try and dig them out.
There's also a well used pic of Paul casting the #5 at one of the WCs in Norway. Again a very fast, wide loop with a clear DNL.

Just because the DNL is easiest to demonstrate by casting low power, very tight loops, it should not be used to formulate a hypothesis when there is other, very contradictory, evidence.

Cheers, James

Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo » Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:10 pm

[/quote]

Just because the DNL is easiest to demonstrate by casting low power, very tight loops, it should not be used to formulate a hypothesis when there is other, very contradictory, evidence.

Cheers, James
[/quote]

James,

OK... no disagreement with that. I'm not trying to take the lead here... I am trying to follow.

Are you OK with the idea that loop shapes are partially or primarily representative of the relationship between the tension of the legs?

And, as to photos... do you have any of DNLs in a back cast? That is what I was primarily interested in. I see lots of wedge shaped BCs (cuz they are sexy?). So, DNLs in a BC must either be frumpy or errors?

As a follow up. When casting last evening I of course had to play with DNLs. Due to the wind and sun the only place I could see my loops were against a fence and on the FC I had to use my left hand. So my control was not as good as it would have been right handed. But, I found that if I forced the rod to unload and then immediately followed the line with the tip in sort of a forward drift, then let the line slightly shoot, I seemed to create a DNL. I did this repeatedly. I suspect I was reducing the tension in the rod leg.

But when I turned around and placed a BC along the same fence, with my much more adept right hand, I could not recreate the DNL no matter how hard I tried. It is probably just me and poor BC control... but it does make me think.

Thanks to everyone for their input!

Håvard Stubø

Flybye

Post by Flybye » Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:29 pm

Excuse my stupidity but asthetics aside is an under powered loop desirable on the backcast?
TK

Mangrove Cuckoo

Post by Mangrove Cuckoo » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:41 pm

I don't think so.

And maybe that is why I have not seen them often. Usually only good casts are in photos or videos. And poor backcasts usually don't have tight loops either, I suspect.

I just made an observation and was curious.

Håvard Stubø

Return to “Flycasting Physics”