PLEASE NOTE: In order to post on the Board you need to have registered. To register please email paul@sexyloops.com including your real name and username. Registration takes less than 24hrs, unless Paul is fishing deep in the jungle!

Statements that make you go Hmmm? #1

Moderator: Torsten

Graeme H
Answers: 0

Re: Statements that make you go Hmmm? #1

Post by Graeme H »

Don't worry about Lasse, Jarmo. He likes to make you think harder about the things you say by challenging them. It's never meant as an insult and his heart is in the right place - most of the time. ;)

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

To me it makes no sense Jarmo. I can’t think why anyone would restrict themselves from using any “word”. Good on you for trying it. If Lasse won’t support you with more information on how to make it work then I don’t think it’s going to be very useful for the rest of us either.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Bianchetti Ivan

Post by Bianchetti Ivan »

I don't understand, it's my limit, how can I explain where a student's race ends, if I can't tell him that you have to stop them?
Bianchetti Ivan

Post by Bianchetti Ivan »

Bianchetti Ivan wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:50 am I don't understand, it's my limit, how can I explain where a student's race ends, if I can't tell him that you have to stop them?
I mean, how can you know where it ends if you can't stop?
jarmo
Answers: 1

Post by jarmo »

Graeme H wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:42 pm He likes to make you think harder about the things you say by challenging them.
In this company, I feel fortunate to be the student.
Paul Arden
Site Admin
Answers: 2

Post by Paul Arden »

You’re far more patient than I am, Jarmo. When I ask a question and get a question back in return then that makes me angry.

I’ve seen that quite often in the Physics Forum where it’s obvious that they don’t know the answer or are not prepared to put themselves on the line for fear of being wrong.

We should never fear being wrong or making mistakes. For that is how we learn. I will be a student all of my life.

Cheers, Paul
It's an exploration; bring a flyrod.

Flycasting Definitions
Morsie

Post by Morsie »

Theoretically if there was no stop the rod would go round and round and round and round forever.....................otherwise it hits the water/ground/grass and that'll stop it.
Make your explanations as simple as possible, but no simpler. A Einstein.
Lasse Karlsson

Post by Lasse Karlsson »

What about elliptical casting, does it stop if you go in an oval as opposed to round? What about figure of 8?
And theoretically, we never stop moving 😉

Missed this one, thanks Morsie 🙂

Cheers
Lasse
Your friendly neighbourhood flyslinger

Flycasting, so simple that instructors need to make it complicated since 1685

Got a Q++ at casting school, wearing shorts ;)
Morsie

Post by Morsie »

Sure there are casts we can use that are perceived as "stopless" won't help you in the CI and and student we teach to cast like that is going to have issues elsewhere. The stopless cast is a progression, first learn how to stop and then unlearn it later on. And theoretically we are supposed to stop at a STOP sign, but the internals of the car continue to move, police should book us for failing to stop. When we stop , even to sleep our organs are still moving, but how far do you want to take it, how exacting do we need to be, it fly casting not brain surgery? Does teaching someone to stop the rod cleanly at a certain point help them to cast better, yes, I think it does. First learn how to make good loops then learn how to make other loops.I remenber teaching my boys how to ride bikes but I forgot to teach them how to use the brakes, should have done that first.
Make your explanations as simple as possible, but no simpler. A Einstein.
Graeme H

Post by Graeme H »

We could easily define the stop in terms of physics (vectors, etc) but that's not going to help people learn to cast.

If there is a SLP, the stop occurs when the rod tip is not longer traveling with any component of its movement in that direction. Going round and round forever doesn't produce a loop because there is no SLP from which to deviate. A "Stopless cast" still has a stop when the rod tip is no longer moving towards the target (in any sense).

To answer Lasse (because I'm feeling adventurous ... ;) ), yes, the rod tip does stop moving backwards at some point, allowing the line to overtake the tip in that direction. Sure, it keeps moving in another direction, but it has stopped in one direction.

Waiting for barrage now .... :D

Cheers,
Graeme
FFi CCI

Return to “Flycasting Physics”